Mandrake 10.1 CE From bad to worse!!

arriagga

I’ve been using mandrake since 8.0 until 10.1 which i think its the worst of all mandrakes.

Sound does not work at all (since 10) and think it’s a kernel problem because when I use any 2.4 kernel the sound its fine.

I have a DVD writer which doesn’t work (I can’t see DVDs either)

Internal zip drive doesn’t work (eve m$-dos can use this zip)

My keyboard sometimes does not work (if I restart the X server works for some minutes)

I was a Red Hat use (some years ago) until i saw mandrake,

now I`m think of changing

Can anyone help me ?

Edited by arriagga

i have some ideas about the kernel thing...but that might involve recompiling the kernel. you see, OSS was the main sound system on 2.4, then they changed to ALSA on 2.6...for me it's not mandrake's fault, but rather the kernel developers. My sound still works best with OSS.

Changing to a 2.4 kernel might solve some of your hardware problems. You can just browse the software directory in Mandrake Control Center, 2.4.27 should be there. Install it and boot to that kernel and post what happens.

SORRY, I wasn' t home.

here's what I have.

Soyo Motherboard (mod. sy-p4vga)

60 gb maxtor hd.

nvidia vanta video

Via Ac97 integratted souncard (vt8233)

also heres my lspci

root@localhost arriaga]# lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge

00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]

00:0b.0 Serial controller: Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp (w/Handset) Modem (rev 01)

00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)

00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)

00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)

00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)

00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge

00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] (rev 15)

Thanks for the help.

when you do a fresh install of mandrake, in the options screen afterwards (where you set up graphics, lilo options, timezone, etc) there's a button for sound. In the setup you can choose between the sound modules "snd_via82xx" and "via82cxxx_audio" and you should choose the latter. The default "snd_via82xx" doesnt work.