anand

as a general rule of thumb if you have questions about a piece of software you should as them inside the software section of the forum. everything linux is meant more for news, and you really shouldn't ask for help with a problem in a news post :) just a suggestion ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a similar problem to anand's experience with skype.

Mandriva 2006 - Skype is perfectly installed and seems to function except from everytime I try to make a call it says "problem with sound device"

I read in another thread about making a link to or from dev/dsp/

But I do not know how to do that.

What could this problem be?

post-13195-1131913060_thumb.jpg

Try installing aoss (urpmi aoss). If that doesn't help install an earlier version of Skype.

I installed aoss, and got an error message, chose yes to continue, and seems nothing has changed. I did not reboot, but restarted skype.

Error message:

The following packages have bad signatures: aoss-1.0.9-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found)OK) libalsa-oss0-1.0.9-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found)OK) Do you want to continue installation?

(I chose yes)

Might need to install earlier version?

THANX

I am a gnome user but for the moment I am triying KDE on the other machine, I found that skype has issues when running in KDE. Also it seems kde uses kde-sound libraries and that block ALSA or OSS.

I can't listen to xmms, flash and other sound devices based there.

Skype normally works fine for me in LE2005 but last night I got the "problem with sound device" message. I closed Skype, closed Kmix, became root in a console, ran "alsaconf" and then restarted Skype. Worked for me.

I've never had to do anything with /dev/dsp and /dev/sound/dsp.

Go to "Skype for Linux" at forum.skype.com and rejoice :( - you're not the only ones having this "problem with sound device". Latest versions of Skype for Linux are a bit buggy in this regard, to say the least. Upon entering the forum, look for "skypedsphijack" - it provides some workaround.

http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=322...er=asc&start=90