Problem with DNS settings [SOLVED]

joltz

Im using linux mandrake 10.1 community, with KDE and my internet connection is ADSL permanently connected via a D-LInK DSL-G604T DSL ROUTER.

Problem im experiencing is, i notice alot of sites dont work, like google yahoo altavista and tons more. I cant log into aim/icq/yahoo either but msn works on gaim.

Ive checked my firewall settings and disabled it and it stil does it, browser says it times out on port 80.

So i check my internet settings and my primary DNS server is set to my dlinks modem page which is 10.1.1.1, now this setting does give me a connection to the net, but as i said alot of sites are slow and most time out.

So I enter my isp's DNS server in the secondary field, and viola the net runs fine, everything works and is very fast indeed.

I check my modems configuration page and the DNS server is set correctly to my ISP's.

Now after a while, be 1 minute, 10 minutes or evern a hour or more, the settings will change back to just 10.1.1.1 and my secondary DNS i entered disappears and the net stuffs up again.

When the net works fine i check my resolv.conf file when the nets working fine and it shows:

search net.au

nameserver 203.0.178.191

nameserver 10.1.1.1

# ppp temp entry

everytime it reverts back to not working the file shows,

nameserver 10.1.1.1

with no extra text.

So when the settings are fine I try and do in root a:

chmod guo-w /etc/resolv.conf

&/or a

#chmod -w /etc/resolv.conf

This should set the file as not allowed to be written and read only, but again after a while it still changes the file and my settings again revert back to 10.1.1.1

I have tried setting my ISP's DNS IP addy as primary and using 10.1.1.1 as secondary and I experience the same problem.

I have disabled the firewall from my system and from my modems page.

Im totally stumped as how to fix this, id appreciated any help you guys can offer.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by joltz

Try this setup in /etc/resolv.conf where your primary NS is the router.

search net.au

nameserver 10.1.1.1

nameserver 203.0.178.191

Or

search localhost

nameserver 10.1.1.1

i do know this problem. i had the same dns-problem with the d-link dsl 564t router, which works perect on the windows-boxes, but poor with mandrake. tip: vidalinux/gentoo, yoper and knoppix solve this dns-problem by themselves. in ubuntu i found a way to solve that problem a bit (might work in mandrake, too). :unsure:

create a second network-profile where you store the relevant dns-ips and apply that one once your comp has booted. if you still don't get access then, open a terminal and ping e.g. google.com. then open again the browser and start google. it should work... i hope. at least it does it in ubuntu.

anon: my experience is that the resolv.conf is constantly rewritten by mandrake, thus, the problem won't be solved in any way. even changing the permission of resolv.conf to read-only does not keep mandrake from overwriting the resolv.conf every time you boot your system. :angry:

Edited by arctic

anon: my experience is that the resolv.conf is constantly rewritten by mandrake, thus, the problem won't be solved in any way. even changing the permission of resolv.conf to read-only does not keep mandrake from overwriting the resolv.conf every time you boot your system.  :angry:

Yes, changing the permissions won't achieve anything.

But the primary NS should be your routers IP not your ISP's IP

Yes, changing the permissions won't achieve anything.

But the primary NS should be your routers IP not your ISP's IP

i tried that already several times and it was irrelevant where i put which ip in mandy. it simply got wiped out.. strange, eh?

i tried that already several times and it was irrelevant where i put which ip in mandy. it simply got wiped out.. strange, eh?

Weird indeed. :unsure:

The server that runs this board has a different setup of course, but i have a wireless router running my PC and a laptop, and /etc/resolv.conf only needs :

search localhost

nameserver 168.56.32.x.x

I would have thought all routers would set it up the same way, yea, weird he has a connection but its irratic.

Edit.

joltz ISP's IP 203.0.178.191 resolves to http://iinet.net.au/ And when i visited the site, it was slow, and took 15 seconds for the page to fully display.

Might have something to do with the problem, but is probably totally unrelated.

I have a netgear router and have had no problems with DNS, using mdk10.1.

my entries are:

search <ISP Name>

nameserver <isp dns server1>

nameserver <isp dns server2>

#ppp temp entry

Could this be a D-Link issue (DHCP?), not a Mandrake problem ?

joltz ISP's IP 203.0.178.191 resolves to http://iinet.net.au/ And when i visited the site, it was slow, and took 15 seconds for the page to fully display.

I think its 'unrelated'

I live in AUS too and this page loaded in about .001 seconds. :mr-green:

avg ping time 100ms.

Its probably a DNS problem as arctic described.

sorry I can't be more helpful.

( maybe I can be more helpful. Buy a netgear router :cheesy: )

Could this be a D-Link issue (DHCP?), not a Mandrake problem ?

could be... i also thought o this possibility. but then... why does it work on e.g. gentoo or vidalinux without problems but not with mandrake or suse? :unsure: :screwy:

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it alot.

i tried all the methods and the one that worked for me was anon's sugestion of using:

search localhost

nameserver 10.1.1.1

Its amazing the solution was so simple and right under my nose.

Thanks very much :)

actually it worked fine for a while and its reverted back again...

Argh the frustration huh.

Knoppix however doesnt do this to me? Any idea why or if i can use anything from knoppix in mandrake?

i tried all the methods and the one that worked for me was anon's sugestion of using:

search localhost

nameserver 10.1.1.1

Its amazing the solution was so simple and right under my nose.

Thanks very much :)

So it works, but when it changes

search net.au

vanishes from resolv.conf?

Try going into the MDK control centre and set up your connection again, but put localhost in the boxes.. This will mean that when you open a consol, it will say your_name@localhost. Hopefully it will stay in resolv.conf.

Its worth a try!

So it works, but when it changes
search net.au

vanishes from resolv.conf?

Try going into the MDK control centre and set up your connection again, but put localhost in the boxes.. This will mean that when you open a consol, it will say your_name@localhost. Hopefully it will stay in resolv.conf.

Its worth a try!

hehehe... guess what i have been trying to do a dozen of times anon. it simply doesn't work. and the "search net.au" or any other entry vanishes. blame mandrakes-kernel team and d-link for this. as i said: no problems in gentoo/vidalinux or knoppix/yoper/kanotix with this "bug".

edit: just read this informative article. it explains the problem and its cause.

http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/

Edited by arctic

yeah, i bet they are already trying desperately to fix that thing as it caused considerable damage on many linux-boxes, which is not good propaganda for linux. :P

i think (hope) this bug will be gone once the kernel reaches 2.6.10.