Updating via later CDs???

Peppercorn

Hi

I have just uninstalled MDK 10.1 and gone back to MDK 10. I find that it the earlier version is much more suited to my computer for some reason. I still use the 2.6 Kernel but the latter version gave me many headaches.

ANYWAY, is there a way of updating OpenOffice from the latest CD's??? I would like to use the latest version which is on the 10.1 CDs.

can anyone help me to know which is the easiest way if at all possible???

Thanks

open MCC (Mandrake Control Center)->software management->media manager. insert the Cd into the drive. mount it if neccessary. click the "add" button. choose "removable device". give it a name (IE: 10.1 CD, or whatever you like). use the browse button to browse to the CD location. (should be something like /mnt/cdrom) leave the "relative path........." blank. click "ok" in the dialogue box. it will add the CD source. click "ok" in the media manager box.

as LZ cautioned, check what dependencies OOo wants before you blindly install it. i would think that it wouldn't need anything that would conflict with your 10.0 install, but just be wary of that. mixing 10.1 system files with 10.0 could land you in trouble.

if everything installs OK, i would go back to media manager & either disable, or remove that source, just to be safe for further app installs.

Chris

you cant use the OpenOffice in 10.1 in 10.0. I already tried because I needed the pdf export option with the version in 10.1. It has a slew of dependencies that is in the 10.1 discs. I eventually ended up upgrading anyway (i was putting it off until the end of the semester) but I would suggest that you go for a vanilla version at openoffice.org's site.

ciao!

Ramfree17

You're right!! You can't as I just found out while slowly destroying my MDK installation!! Oh well another install!

But can you explain to me what you mean by a Vanilla version??? Does that mean compiling a new version of Openoffice from source???

Please excuse my noobiness is showing!!

The vanilla version that ramfree17 referred to is the 'original version' that you can download from www.OpenOffice.org. It is a compressed file, you need to download and uncompres sit and then run the setup script from a console. See the readme file of OOo in the uncompressed path if you need to install OOo for multiple users (network installation, using the -net switch ). You may search www.OOoForum.org for more discussion.

Please excuse my noobiness is showing!!

Me too a linux newbie despite having used Mandrake for more then 2 years ;)

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by cwchia