request for ADSL modem feedback

Guest GorGor

dear Mdk users

I am shopping for an ADSL modem, I have seen dynalink and Alcatel mentioned.

Anyone have any feedback on what modem works well with Mdk 9.0 feel free to mention any modem and if it pleases you any link to its review or homepage.

Thanking you for any assistance.

I am currently on a dinosaur dial up but one of my Australian Isp is offering A$20 per month for 300 megs (about USD $11)

For any Aussie its http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl.html

The best DSL modems for me is any external and ethernet based dsl modems since USB support in linux is a bit iffy (it seems that alcatel speedtouch USB support is really sporadic.. some people can run it out of the box no problem while others need something like recompiling kernel and such). And I don't know any internal DSL modem that works in linux.

I tried 2 ethernet based dsl modems already (Zyxel prestige 600 series and Speedstream series) and both of them works with mandrake with its built in pppoe software.

I only know sometring about the Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modems under mdk 9.0 :

The old one, model like a blue UFO, is easely recognised and works out of the box.

The new one, model 330, like a big red mouse, will give some troubles, but with the right CVS drivers, patched modem_run and pppoa3, and the right How-To it will work in the end ! ( took me a full week to get it going )

The (dutch ) link for the how-to is www.xs4all.nl/~pschram/index.html (there is a link to an english version at the top )

Before committing to a specific brand of modem you should check with the ISP you intend to use and see if they have specific requirements. Here in N.A. some do and some don't. While modem rental of a specific brand and type is gradually disappearing, you may have no alternative. Let us know what the ISP says and then you can get some meaningful recommendations about particular hardware.

Counterspy

do you guys have adsl routers there?

I had (still have but don't use anymore) an adsl router

it has 1 ethernet port .... and you don't have to configure pppoe or anything, the router does all the dial-up and negotiation.

Just turn it on, and few seconds later you've got internet access

here's a link

http://www.awcl.co.nz/specification/137/13...9cd/item137.htm

Paul

thanks for the NZ link, at this stage I am not sure I will pursue the price of over NZ$600. But I have still an open mind on routers not an open wallet, forgive me.

Many thanks for the effort