dns problem going on and on and on

arctic

another network-problem.

i have looked in books and on the net a lot before posting this. so please don't think i am lazy. :P

here is the problem: i have set up a small 4 computer LAN in one office. the adsl-router for work is a d-link dsl-564t. it connects fast and set-up was painless. i do get access to all web-sites and services on the two windows boxes, but the linux boxes, (mdk10.0 and 10.1) are only able to ping sites or access web-sites via the dns typed in the browserbar. e.g. i type http://216.239.59.99 and i see google. if i type www.google.de or any other adress, i get the "unreachable" result.

i already tried to solve this by adding "net.ipv4.tcp_default_win_scale=0" into the /etc/sysctl.conf in case my router should have trouble with the kernels. result = nothing changed. i also added another secondary dns-server to the routers defaults, updated the bind-files checked my /etc/resolv.conf (pointing to my routers 192.168.1.1).

all firewalls are disabled and still, i do have this annoying dns-problem. any idea what i can do? :unsure:

Edited by arctic

i continued my search for an answer and i finally stumbled over the problem. :) the router had some "automatic dns-resolving" enabled, trying to grab some dns-servers data that somehow won't work correctly with linux. first i thought that the problem might be the automatic rewriting of the /etc/resolv.conf in mandrake but this doesn't seem to be the case.

so i changed the dns-locations in the router to 192.168.0.1 and secondary dns to 194.25.2.129 and now i get usable net access (at least with ubuntu. will try with the mandrake-boxes tomorrow). added this piece of information in case anyone has similar problems with a router. it should work with any web-configured router, i guess.

now one last question remains: as soon as i log on with two or more machines, website-display will take a significant time. does anyone know a trick how i could speed up the connection for the local network? all comps are equipped with realtek network cards and have the 2.6.3 or higher kernel (except the two windows boxes of course :P).

any idea would be great.

cu! :beer:

okay, no help from anyone... seems as if i am a geek that posts questions that nobody can answer or you all hate me for something that i am unaware of (i hope for the first option :D).

i have spent many many hours on my stupid problem and the dns is still causing trouble in all mandrake boxes. but not with ubuntu or vidalinux or yoper or fedoracore or suse or ... (enter distro of your choice). this is embarrassing. i hoped to get the problem fixed but somehow, mandrake still refuses to work correctly with alll dns and firewall options that i have worked on. it looks as if i have to abandon mandrakelinux due to this problem and turn to other distros. what a pity.... i have the feeling that i am loosing a long known friend... :sad:

thank you mandrake, and r.i.p.

my main os will become either ubuntu or vidalinux i guess. i will nonetheless keep one mandrakepartition in order to work on the problem. maybe i get the solutuion in one or two years. :P. and i will still stick around here and post my crap. no, you won't get rid of me that fast. :lol2:

but... as mentioned before: any help is welcomed

uuuh... more bad news... after upgrading ubuntu, i have exactly the same problem in ubuntu as i had in mandrake. i can access webpages via their ip adress but not by typing in the normal adress (e.g. www.google.com). does anyone know a script or something like that (maybe how to change the important file that manages the resolv.conf (which one is it anyway?)) that could to keep my dns from changing automatically to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1? :unsure:

Hi arctic.

I'm no networking genius, but I run Mdk10.1 (and 10.0 occasionally, dual booted), I've never had trouble with DNS on any machine.

I'm curious why you use 192.168.0.1 as the primary DNS server? I'm guessing you are running a DNS server or something.

Also the secondary DNS server (194.25.2.129) looks like it is external to your LAN??

I don't have a Dlink DSL-564T, and I suspect most people outside Germany won't, but I have a Netgear FR114P and my DNS IP's are pointed to my ISP's servers. So with dhcp on my machines and the router set up as dhcp server, I never get any issues.

I do get a 'browsing slowdown' if I browse with 2 computers and most definately when I use all 3, but my assumption is that a 75Mhz processor on the router while doing SPI is at fault.

side note:

Also I use NOD32 antivirus and on a recent upgrade I accidentally set it to " Enable HTTP checking"! This really slowed down the Net connection on the WinXP machine affected. Disabled it, and speed went up.

Oh! I forgot............. I'm on Cable in Australia.

cheers.

I'm curious why you use 192.168.0.1 as the primary DNS server? I'm guessing you are running a DNS server or something.

Also the secondary DNS server (194.25.2.129) looks like it is external to your LAN??

well, maybe i should tell a bit more on my network stuff. the router stores the relevant data for starting adsl and it starts automatically. it has an inbuilt firewall that is NOT causing trouble. this is for sure (testes it thoroughly). the router assigns the LAN adresses to the computers and automatically resolves the dns. dhcp is enabled.

now the comps: they have an ethernet card and are connected via dhcp to the router. all fine so far. on dual-boot machines, there is no porblem getting into the net with windows. but the linux boxes are causing trouble (except vidalinux) due to the automatically generated /etc/resolv.conf. on vidalinux i changed the dns in the resolv.conf and i can browse the net without a problem. but this doesn't work on e.g. ubuntu (after updating) or mandrake or suse who rewrite the resolv.conf all the time.

resolv.conf points to the routers adress by default (192.168.1.1) which should be fine but causes big trouble. i am getting out of ideas to fix this.... :wall:

ummm... i think i went into the wrong direction. thanks for slapping my face, gowator. after more than 50 hours spend on the network-stuff, i am not able to think in a normal logical way. and i realised that the resolv.conf should not be the troublemaker... i misread contents of my resolv.conf on vidalinux. it is exactly the same as on ubuntu and mandy. but why do i have this bloody problem of websites not showing up other than by typing their ip adress then?

is it maybe a colliding of several apps-packages? bind-stuff?

it doesn't look like the answer imho. it is identical with my vidalinux file. and in vidalinux(gentoo) it works, on others not. here it is anyway...

# /etc/nsswitch.conf:

# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/nsswitch.conf,v 1.4 2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $

passwd:      compat

shadow:      compat

group:      compat

# passwd:    db files nis

# shadow:    db files nis

# group:    db files nis

hosts:      files dns

networks:    files dns

services:    db files

protocols:  db files

rpc:        db files

ethers:      db files

netmasks:    files

netgroup:    files

bootparams:  files

automount:  files

aliases:    files

Edited by arctic

sorry arctic Im a bit stumped

where are the network guru's today!

you could always accept defeat and delete the whole interface (via webmin) and then recreate it and the associated files ?

take a break and come back to it?

or :drum: (shameless just wanted to try new emoticon)

dunno where they are. i will erase ubuntu for now and reinstall mandrake on my "play-around-partition". maybe i can find out what went wrong after a clean install... and a lot of :drum: and :beer:

:D

shalalalala... i reinstalled mandrake 10.0 OE. completely clean installation and !bang! nuthin' works again. this was driving me really nuts. in frustration i started to install other distros. suse = no page display, ubuntu (newest versio) = no page display, yoper = yeeehaaa... worked out of the box. just like vidalinux. i really don't understand that. this is the yoper nsswitch file:

# Begin /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd: files

group: files

shadow: files

publickey: files

hosts: files dns

networks: files

protocols: db files

services: db files

ethers: db files

rpc: db files

netgroup: db files

# End /etc/nsswitch.conf

the important parts are roughly the same as in the file i had in ubuntu (which actually was the same as the one in vidalinux). i ask myself if the loopback might have been the troublemaker or the ntp.conf. anyway, i have two working boxes right now. thats okay for me at the moment. :D

edit: i ask myself if i should really waste more time with mandrake/ubuntu/suse in order to find what might have solved the problem. i think it would be great for others who might encounter the same problem, but i simply do not have the time and the nerves right now... anyway, they could switch to yoper. :P

Edited by arctic