Newbie: Bringing up eth0 Problem

Guest driggins

Guest driggins

Brand new Mandrake user here. I've just finished installing 10.0 as a desktop. During boot, everything is ok with the exception of "Bringing up ETH0". The comp hangs for about 60 seconds, then gives a red "failure" for this item. Assuming Linux is referring to my ethernet connection, this would explain why I have no LAN connectivity yet.

I found the hardware configuration windows after boot. It does see my ethernet hardware (it is integrated into my motherboard and is a VIA Rhine II).

I booted once more to confirm that it is still not "Bringing up ETH0" correctly.

Any ideas? If so, please speak slowly as I'm just beginning to look around this Linux thing (I'm liking it thus far, hardware issue aside).

Thanks,

Daryl

sometimes the "failure" you described there is not really important (mine also fails to load at bootup from time to time, but network works nontheless).

open a console (the little black monitor icon) and log in as root (type "su", then enter the root-password). now type "ifup eth0" does it assign an ip? if yes, everything is fine. if no, type "ifconfig eth0" and post the result here.

good luck. :)

There is a possibility that your firewall is not set up correctly.

Open up the Mandrake Control Centre (MCC) ...........> Security ..................> Firewall ............> and initially put a tick (USA=check) in ...........> FTP Server and also ...............> Pop and Email Server .........> click NEXT and in ..........> NET Device select ETHO from the dropdown menu, and finally click ..........> OK.

Hope it helps. John.

Usually, if it hangs for about a few minutes before a failure notice, it means that it cannot find a dhcp server (for automatic IP address). So the questions are:

1. How do you connect in Windows, is it using automatic IP address or static IP? If it is static IP, just copy the information found (such as IP address, gateway, and DNS servers) into a piece of paper and then in Linux rerun drakconnect but select static IP this time, and copy the information back.

2. What does that network card connected to? Is it cable modem, DSL modem, Internet Switch/router, or just a plain switch/hub connected to other computers? If it is DSL modem, you may need to use PPPOE in drakconnect.

what type of connection? (adsl, dsl, cable,.....)? i had a similar problem after installing 10.0 with my eth0 & adsl connection. i did the following to correct it. this may work for you, also........

go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ & open the ifcfg-eth0 file with a text editor. (you'll need to be root to edit this, so in a terminal as root type konqueror (enter) to open Konqueror file manager in superuser mode) make the contents of the file to read like this............

DEVICE=eth0
onBOOT=yes
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""

save it, reboot.

for comparison, here's what it looked like before the edit..........

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
onBOOT=yes
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""

notice the boot protocal line somehow was detected as DHCP during the install, which i don't have. i also removed the netmask line because it still wouldn't work with that in there.

just make sure you back up your original ifcfg-eth0 file first, or write down the entries somewhere should this not work & you want to reset it to original.

Chris

this really hinges on if its trying to get a DHCP address or not...

if it is trying and unable because you dont have a DHCP server (or router/modem that acts as one) then it will fail

It will also fail if it cant find the module (driver) for the chipset...

if you follow what chris_z is suggesting then post the files here...

a way to do this if you are dual booting is to copy them to a Windows partition from linux or even to a USB key or floppy...

while you are root...

type

lspci -v (this will scroll loads of stuff, you are looking for the generic name for the ethernet card)

then

lsmod

and see if anything looks like it belongs to this card...

finally

if you use

ifconfig eth0 down

ifconfig eth0 up

it gives you more detailed messages than at boot time when it is either success or failure.

Guest driggins

Ok, lots to report to everyone...

I am attempting to connect to a small LAN. I have a D-Link router that acts as DHCP. It works fine with Windows, so I am hoping for the same with Mandrake.

I followed arctic's suggestions and determined that the comp does not have an IP address assigned (so, DHCP is not working). I did manage to save the output of the ifconfig command, but my Windows hard drive is set to read-only...therefore, can't seem to copy it from the Mandrake mount to the Windows mount. Quite frustrating. I'm happy to post this file, but not excited about printing it (and seeing if my printer works in Mandrake) and typing it. Let me know what's needed and I'll do it.

Now, onto quasi-related items. While doing the ipconfig check, I setup Evolution (I guess I could not wait to see what it looks like). Now, Mandrake is painfully slow...perhaps because Evolution is continually trying to check the LAN? What can I do to get my system back to normal pace while I'm working on establishing my LAN connection?

And, yet another twist... During my last session, it appeared that Mandrake froze. I waited it out as long as possible, but eventually hit the reset button. During my next boot, Mandrake noted the dirty shutdown and I proceeded with the optional file check. It must have detected something, because it set itself to reboot. It now boots all the way through, but my video is garbled. I can see that the desktop is loading through the haze of video signal. Ideas here? Obviously, I need to fix this problem before I can go on to the others.

Thanks.

And, yet another twist... During my last session, it appeared that Mandrake froze. I waited it out as long as possible, but eventually hit the reset button. During my next boot, Mandrake noted the dirty shutdown and I proceeded with the optional file check. It must have detected something, because it set itself to reboot. It now boots all the way through, but my video is garbled. I can see that the desktop is loading through the haze of video signal. Ideas here? Obviously, I need to fix this problem before I can go on to the others.

try to boot your system in failsafe-mode and when asked if you want to check the root partition hit the appropriate button for "yes" before the five seconds time out. that should fix most of your problems.... i hope.

Guest driggins

I booted in failsafe and checked the root. After checking, the status indicated "passed". Since failsafe ended at a command line (I'm guessing "shell" is the correct term...still learning) I typed "reboot" and exited cleanly back to my boot loader. Unfortunately, I still have the same video problem.

I'm fairly certain that I was using AGP before this happened. I have a choice to rervert back to my motherboard's PCI video port, but I don't think this is the source of the problem.

So, until the video issue is resolved, all else is on hold. Any other ideas?