Server administration

a13x

Ok, here is the scenario: a small LAN, about 22 PCs that need Internet access and one cable modem. In other words I need to configure a Linux server to do the job. We already have one but I'm not administrating it. I only have user access to it. The guy that is currently root doesn't do such a good job. The server is currently using Slackware Linux with the 2.4 Kernel. I want to replace him and become root myself. No I'm not talking about hacking the server. I'll get permission of course. I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think I want to do it.

This is what I have in mind:

-format the server's hd

-install Mandrake MNF

-configure needed software & administer (!)

I think that the last part will be the hardest (or maybe not ? :unsure: ). I have never administered a server before but I want to know if my current Linux knowledge is enough. I mean is it hard ? Where can I find some newbie guides for this kinda thing ?

I know I'll get help from the board if I get stuck but I don't wanna resort to that, in this case, because if I'm going to replace that guy I'll have to do better than him without any mistakes.

What do you think ?

Guest smoknmags

Need a bit more information on what type of server you are setting up. Is it for file serving, a gateway, a firewall? These type of things will determine what you software you need. Mandrake has all of these...So its just a question of configuring them properly

Well, the probelm is that I've scanned the server with Nessus and it has some holes ..... :( That guy doesn't care about this. He could get updates and such but ..... he doesn't. Mandrake's urpmi would ease the update process (right ?).

I was thinking about MNF because it looks very good for the job with all those features and stuff. Another motive is that I'm a Mandrake user so ..... I support Mandrake :D.

As would a FREE debian/gentoo with apt/portage.

MNF seems overpriced to me... and having seent he wizards in the main distro I wouldnt trust them on a professional job..

Im also not sure how urpmi would cope with the MNF part...

If I was determined to use mandrake I'd use OE and keep it up to date but admin it with Webmin...

edit if you are determined to pay then unless you are somewhere where you can get mandrake support then RH or possibly Suse.

I have also heard that Debian/Gentoo make good servers but ...... as far as I know Gentoo and Debian are not so easy to install. I still consider myself a n00b and would try something easier.

MNF also has a free downloadable version. Check the Mandrake site.

What I'm trying to do here is get the Internet working and learn Linux server administration at the same time. It doesn't have to be quite professional (for now) because I'm not running a company or something. I want my server to be protected from hackers and things to run smoothly.

I'll install Debian or Gentoo when I will be ready. For now I'll stick to the "user-friendly" distros. In these 2 months (as a Linux user) I have learned a lot of stuff but there is soooooooo much more.

THX for your help.

admining a network is not always as easy as it sounds ..perhaps the guy is doing better than you think if he installed and configured slack...instead of a shrink wrapped server...

it isn't really n00b territory, cant you work WITH this guy? perhaps take some roles over and share root access?

root is a login, not a person inparticualr....and working with an experienced person is a great way to learn fast...

admining a network is not always as easy as it sounds ..perhaps the guy is doing better than you think if he installed and configured slack...instead of a shrink wrapped server...

it isn't really n00b territory, cant you work WITH this guy? perhaps take some roles over and share root access?

root is a login, not a person inparticualr....and working with an experienced person is a great way to learn fast...

Hmm ... that might be a solution ... I'll try that.

The question is why MNF? From what I heard, MNF is not supposed to be newbie friendly. For 22 computers, regular old Mandrake OE should be enough. Debian with webmin is also good, only the installation is harder than most.

The oldest Mandrake I have is 9.2. Does it work in GUI mode with an old Celeron 433MHz, 64 MB RAM and a 9GB hd ? I don't know what kind of graphics card it has.

The oldest Mandrake I have is 9.2. Does it work in GUI mode with an old Celeron 433MHz, 64 MB RAM and a 9GB hd ? I don't know what kind of graphics card it has.

Yep but you dont need a graphics card (except to boot as part of the x86 bios check) on a server.

I have a P2-266 with 64MB RAM running debian woody as my main server...

the graphics is some onboard SVGA i810 chipset but I dont even have a monitor or keyboard attached to it... everything is done remotely...