Changing computer name (host name)

I've been searching like a crazy on my MCC and google to find this little annoying but not vital question. How do I change the name on my computer? It's called something like x1-00-bla-bla-bla and I want to change it for something more "understandable".

check the screenshot:

Well, I use GNOME. GNOME has these extremely useful GNOME-system-tools which make your life easier. :P Everything is very easy to configure.

Since you are a KDE user go to the Samba Configuration Tool (the Konqueror extension) and change your pc's name from there.

ignore the last one....

your hostname is assigned by the dhcp server at a guess... you might be able to map the NIC mac address to give it a custom name (Im guessing this in on a router)

if not then you can assign a static address - and then map it

otherwise you can alias it to somethingh more meaninful in /etc/hosts

all hostname changes really require a reboot but you can get away with RL1 and back (init 1 then init 5)

Ummm......

In an editor as root, open /etc/sysconfig/network

Add a line "HOSTNAME=Whateveryou want"

Note the caps before the equal sign. B)

Open MCC.....................> Network and Internet ....................> New Connection and just rerun your setup procedure through to ..........> Host Name(optional) and type in your new name and then follow through.

It's that easy. It took me 1minute and I was able to verify my internet settings as a bonus.

Hang on you had better forget about that. You have to do it using the command line or it means you are an idiot like me.

Cheers. John.

Nothing wrong with doing it from MCC if it works....

however it depends exactly how his hostname is being set ....

MCC might work in 10.x and not in 10.x+1 because its inconsistent... it might work in OE and not CE but doing it like Ix and I suggest should always work...

and if it doesnt then you can undo what you did ... unlike from MCC...

Since you build your own PC's you understand that buying pre-built is an option but building your own you learn more and understand where bits might go wrong...

Using MCC is not different, its a blackbox that may (or may not) solve an immediate problem but in almost every case you will end up with an inferior solution and learn less.

Yes I think we should leave it all to you, after all you have spoken and you know better than anybody else.

I apologize for my effrontery for even making a suggestion or even for asking someone else for a bit of info from them for my own use.

John.

My goodness!

This is linux, which means there is more than one way to do anything! The "right" way is the way the user prefers to do it. This thread lists several ways to change the name of one's computer. They all work. B)

It would be fun to have a thread that deliberately lists all the ways some function can be accomplished. I prefer gui with some stuff and command line with other stuff. But that's just me, sort'a random! :P

John,

Im sorry i was a bit abrupt. I certainly didnt want to offend you as I have a lot of respect for you....

Most importantly I didnt realise you were so upset.... you always appear the sterotypical thickskinned aussie .... which tempts me to be careless.

If I offended you I honestly didnt mean to ... which doesnt mean I agree on the root thing... it just means I should have been a bit more sensitive and taken a bit more time explaining why and in a more dimplometic way...

If we weren't seperated by half the globe I'd owe you a beer or two....

right now the best I can do is apologise and :beer::beer::beer:

sorry mate hope you don't stay mad at me....

Its a shame we can't go for a beer...

its easy to get the wrong idea when you never see someones face... (well I see yours but you never change expression... :D)

but remember if Im short sometimes its becuase im in a rush and at the end of the day we are both aiming to do the same thing. Im not excusing myself for being short but similarily feel free to pm me if you think I am a bit short and certainly if I upset you.

I was always brought up to respect my elders but you have earned it anyway.