10.1 damn slow... and gnome buggy...

arctic

i upgraded via urpmi my system to 10.1CE. first booting was fine. then i added gnome 2.8 and it was a pain in the ar***. some important files were not downloaded in first attempt, resulting in a messed up gnome environment. uninstalled everything and reinstalled it. now gnome works, but i can not put any folder onto the desktop, neither does it show my home and dustbin-folders. any idea how to get'em back?

more problems. since upgrading to 10.1 CE, my box crasehd twice due to fatal x-server error. the result was a messed up root-partition. (it took the system 1 hour to repair the damage done at bootup in failsafe-mode). somehow, the lost+found folders got killed too. i had to reboot three times in order to get everything stable again. but i have the feeling that everything is damn slow now. openoffice is ready for work after two minutes of loading the app, firefox is also slower as usual. kontact has some problems loading all the libraries.

sounds shitty, eh? .... i guess i have to do a clean reinstall... unless you know some tricks to get it running better in a hurry.

btw. : is this only me who expereinces these "inconveniences" or are there others who suffer from the same prob?

apart from this stuff, i still like 10.1. not bad for a beta2 version. :)

I've installed Mandrake10.1 yesterday and I have to agree that there are some annoying bugs. It dind't create a /dev/js0 for my joystick so xmame wouldn't work properly. It took me 2 hours before I dound out what the prblem was :(. Two hours of my precious live that I won't get back.

Further, arts is borked and mplater won't start with the ao=arts in its config.

More, the ivtv driver will compile and does run (not the latest but the one before that)but takes now all of my system resources (or is it mplayer, I haven't checked yet).

Even worse, my Wacom tablet has all kinds of entries in te xorg.conf but is pointed at /dev/input/event0 and I don't think that's right.

Last, I don't like the fonts. Compared to XFree86 they look sloppy.

Let's hope Mandrakes fixes this and if they do that 'update' works. Right now the mirrors are unavailable.

PS: does anyone have succes instaling the xorg-devel packages? I need it to build xmame but for some reason it won't install.

devries: what was your solution? because this is not wrong. kernel 2.6 with the unified input drivers creates joystick devices as /dev/input/js*, not /dev/js* - this is a new standard not an error. Most joystick apps will understand the new interface. there _is_ a problem with CE in that it assigns the permissions to these devices incorrectly - only root can read them - but this is fixed in Cooker and will be fixed in OE.

Adamw: I just created a link from /dev/js to /dev/js0 and that fixed it. The application was xmame (and that's the only app I use with the joystick). I tried to compile xmame again to see if that would fix it but due to some X header files missing and me not being able to install the devel package (urpmi just 'hangs') I happened to hit on an old mailinglist posting that mentioned xmame starts looking for /dev/js0/1/2/3 etc. Well the rest was easy :D

I know about xfs and I used it with XFree86 but my fonts were looking much better then. (and I installed all the fonts I could find so it's not I'm missing something)

Anyway, Mandrake 10.1CE is not the definte OS and I'm sure all the little nagging bits will be ironed out. Let's hope it will be as good as 10.

Good night :)

Edited by devries

devries: you don't need to change /dev...install the gxmame front end, edit its options, tell it to use the new-style linux joystick input and change the input prefix from /dev/js to /dev/input/js. (There'll be a way to do this when launching xmame directly, but I don't know what it is offhand). Making manual symlinks in /dev isn't recommended as they might get nuked by udev or an upgrade, besides it's just dirty :D.

looks like a neat frontend :). 0.87 came out this morning, have to try it out when I get home...

btw, do you know if there's an easier way to set up controls generally than editing them for each game at a time? it's kind of a drag to go into every single game and set the joypads up correctly...