usb modem

Guest bravehat

All I can say is that I've seen post from people having usbmodem problems, but hardly ever see External Serial Modem probs.

I just got this USRoboticsPCI5610B (clearance at Walmart $50 US normally $80 US), which is nice. The driver is built into the kernel so you just plug it in and go :) It's controller based with its own cpu.

Yo I can put some input on this post.. I have an external 56k modem and I also went from a winmodem that had no drives working on linux, to an internal pci modem (it suckeD!) I had to set the irq # and all that crap each time my computer rebooted. and you couldn't just log out you had to reboot then set it.. A script wasn't useful because you had to run it as root. Anyways now I have an external 56k modem USRobotics it was about 90 something 104 with tax dollars that is. For install heres what I did.. On Redhat and mandrake so i'm pretty sure if all distros have Kudzu this will work. I plugged it in, turned the computer off and restarted it, it recognized the modem and it worked once i went into kppp and gave it the port. IT can only bee ttyS0 (Com1) or ttyS1 (com2) that it runs off so its one of those. and its a physical link so you'll know which one. Also keep in mind the modem i bought the external one didn't come with the cable you use to screw it into your computer (to create the physical link...) so make sure you ask someone whos there if it comes with that cable and if not get it.

Oh ya.. i like external alot easier than the others and this was very ez to setup so i recommend it.