CD-ROM drive lockup

crazyspongebob

I have an AMD Athlon 800 Mhz system with one CD burner and one DVD-ROM with Mandrake 10 installed. Recently, once in a while, a dialog box pops up saying that music CDs in drives and the options are "Cancel", "Browse CD", or "Play" even though I have not put in any music CD in drives. Any of the options I choose, my drives are locked up.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

next time it happens, open a terminal, su to root, & type...........

lsof /dev/hdX

replacing X with the letter of your CD drive. you could also do...........

lsof /mnt/cdromX

again, replacing X with the number of the CD drive.

if you get a "command not found" error, as root do............

urpmi lsof

........to install lsof. it's on the MDK install CD's. lsof stands for LiSt Open Files. it's a handy little tool for situations like this. once you know what's using the drive, you can then kill the process. some likely culprits are kscd, partmon, & supermount.

Chris

Are your drives on the same ide channel? It does sound like an old supermount problem, but I thought those issues had been resolved with Mandrake 9.2.

It just happens to my desktop PC, not my laptop. They both have Mandrake 10.0 on. The two CD-ROMs are on the same ide channel. The mobo is an FIC SD-11 slot A with 384 mb of ram and 6 gig hard disk and a pci 3-com network card. I have a bp6 box with Mandrake 9.2 on, and it's been running for almost a year now without such problem at all.

Thanks