browser can't find any url !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest g.dressler

Guest g.dressler

java script:emoticon(':twisted:')

Twisted Evil

the connection via kppp with any isp works fine, but my browsers (konqueror, mozilla) don't find any url.

why has nobody else the same problem?

i would be happy, if somebody could give me "THE SOLUTION".

thank you.

guenter.

A while back, maybe 7.1, I had that problem. I had misconfigured the networking segment of the install. How easy it is to forget that if you are on the internet, your in a network!

Go into the Mandrake Control Center and double check your network setup. Also, make sure you have not inadvertantly set your security too high to allow access to the internet. I think the dialer program might work without the browsers being allowed to communicate if the security is wrong.

Just some guesses.

• 4 weeks later...

I have now had to figure this out the hard way several times.. hopefully this time I'll remember!!

Like johnnyv mentioned.. can you ping a direct ip address but not the domain name? dns is likely the issue. However, make sure you have a routing table with a default gateway.

netstat -r

you should see something like the following:

Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags  MSS Window  irtt Iface

192.168.1.0    *              255.255.255.0  U        40 0          0 eth0

127.0.0.0      *              255.0.0.0      U        40 0          0 lo

default        192.168.1.1    0.0.0.0        UG      40 0          0 eth0

you should at least have one "default gateway"

If not add it with

route add default gw 192.168.1.1

of course substituting your own numbers for the gateway. If you have a physical firewall, it will be that firewall's ip address, or if you run a proxy, it will be the proxy's ip.. otherwise, your isp should be able to give you a gateway.

hope this is of some help to somebody.. the first time I did it, it took an awful long time to get it. :evil:

Guest adamsjw2

Hi,

I had the same problem and it was that my ISP wasn't consistently letting out DNS IPs. When I could pull a DNS automatically from the ISP, then all was well, if not I received the same error as you.

FWIW, I'm using wvdial and it is much more reliable and once configured it very rarely fails. At least, if my ISP doens't let out the DNS, the I can see it in the terminal window and re-dial. Look at the resolv.conf file and see what IPs have been stored there. You might have to put your DNS in KPPP if you're not already doing so.

I hope this helps,

Jim

I've had this problem. Mandrake has an errata page which gives the solution. Drakconnect (Mandake Control Center) is broken - it insists on getting a gateway address (which should be optional) which stops KPPP assigning the route or something....

Solution is to go to /etc/sysconfig??(or rc.d??)/network and remove the line that refers to the gateway.

I also had to turn off my firewall completely to connect on dial-up!!!

Useful.

I'm getting pretty sick of Mandrake ****ing everything up with their custom config tools and am thinking seriously of going over to SUSE

Guest MajinNitz

I am having similiar problems and the people of this forum have been helful, but it still aint workin. Whats the difference between gw and ug in route? i also cannot seem to issue a route add default gw 192.168.0.1 but i will post the error later.