latest ML Security update urpmi not working

kmack

Smoketoomuch: Thanks for your input. I will look into aptget and synaptic from Texstar. Haven't tried them and do not know what they do, so will need to study it out a bit.

I have tried rpm --rebuilddb after deleting db.00x files, but it did not help. I still have a problem with Software Manager and Mandrake Update not working.

Source Manager files are also goofed up and won't allow me to remove them or edit them via the GUI or urpmi.removemedia etc. So I am sort of stuck on this one for now but continuing to explore options and to study this out.

Made a little progress. Cannot list all the things I did but here is a brief outline:

1. Moved all the list files out of /var/lib/urpmi to a new directory on /home partition in case I needed them later.

2. rebooted

3. In Source Manager was able to delete the rest of the sources. I also ended up having to delete the Installation CD's. When I tried to remove CD 1 it removed all of them btw!

4. Using urpmi.addmedia I was able to add back Installation CD's, texstar and update sources.

5. Not sure why but the db.001 files reappeared following this so I deleted and did rpm --rebuilddb as root of course and got the following error:

[root@localhost kelly]# rpm --rebuilddb

error: rpmdb: damaged header instance #426 retrieved, skipping.

Mandrake update is now working and so far so is urpmi.

Any ideas how to resolve the "damaged header" issue?

Guest smoketoomuch

I found this on this on damaged header instance:

http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-2002-03...3/msg00075.html

It also mentions apt as a possible solution. lol at me for suggesting it before installation problems were solved :oops: I like urpmi better (for its easy of use) but I use apt-get and synaptic with texstar's repository (which I have removed from my urpmi sources). What prompted me to suggest it is that sometimes it found broken dependencies whereas urpmi did not report any error, but then, it might be possible that apt is simply more paranoid (I saw no problems, but had to fix the broken dependency for synaptic would not allow me to install new packages until these were resolved). Oh yes, its as easy to install packages with apt-get/synaptic as with urpmi, what is more difficult is to learn how to do those things that urpmf or urpmq does with apt-get in the command line. A quick look at man apt-get scared me away from doing further research ... :roll:

Guest smoketoomuch

hmmm... I just checked my urpmi version with rpm -q and saw that I have a different version then yours - been updating my system regurarily but don't know where I got this one from: urpmi-4.1-16_90mdk

Updating urpmi might also be of help, seeing that you are not alone with your problem.

Smoketoomuch: Thanks for your efforts and help. I read the article on the damaged header and some other info that is related. So far it seems like it might have corrected itself or is at least skipping or ignoring the problem.

I think I traced it back to a bad program on Install CD 1 (Koffice) which would not install properly so I had to download Koffice RPM and install by itself. My CD is from local (SE Asia) magazine and might have a burn error that caused this.

Since things are working normally, I am going to take the easy way out and just leave things as they are. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!) But if I have a problem, I will try using your suggestion and upgrading. I suspect ML will have another version of urpmi out shortly as several seem to have problems with this latest upgrade :wink:

Blessings!

Glad to hear it's at least working for you!

I suspect ML will have another version of urpmi out shortly as several seem to have problems with this latest upgrade
Unlike me you've done research on this....are you saying others have had MAJOR probs with the urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk Mandrake Update? Because I did the Mandrake Update with urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk and the other related rpm pkgs and haven't had any probs.

And now add me to the list of people with no problems. I don't know what the #%$& is wrong here! I rebooted twice, nothing worked. All clean reboots (with 60 secs interval to ensure RAM clears out of static). Then, I decided I will put urpmi to the work again. It again said it could add anything to the rpm database. Funny... I rerun urpmi for the same exact thing... Everything installed it says. I type rpm --initdb... No errors... I run rpm -qa... No errors... I am not sure what is wrong. And I hope it got fixed now

Guest smoketoomuch

I'm glad you finally managed to sort it out :) I ran into rpm/urpmi related problems a few times, and I know how frustrating they can become - especially when you find out it was caused by a single bad package. (I once had to reinstall half my desktop from inside twm or whatever that hellish windowmanager was called for nothing would start - all because of a single faulty fontconfig - or was it freetype? - package :shock: )

Ciao.

I think what might have helped me was removing ALL sources by using urpmi.rmovemedia -c as it cleared out the header problem I had. From urpmi.removemedia man page:

-c

Clean headers cache directory (/var/cache/urpmi/headers).

After I did this seems like things started working again. Hopefully will help you too Moonchild.

bvc: On Mandrake Forum and Club I posted that the upgrade caused me problems and a few others said the same symptoms so I think that it works for some, not others. Seems the people that used Mandrake Update are OK. The ones that did rpm -Fvh per manual instructions are the ones with problems.

If yours is working... I'd say you are OK. Hallelujah!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my simple-minded solution to this prob:

1)Used KPackage to remove gurpmi and urpmi.(making sure to uncheck the "check dependancies" box).

2)Installed the "original" versions from the Mandrake9 CDs.

3)Opened Mandrake Control Center and ran "update' on all sources.

4) Those which would NOT update I deleted and then added new sources (for updates).

After this I ran the Mandrake update and it worked flawlessly, just like it did out-of-the-box, so to speak.

Hope this helps some of the less technically inclined, like myself.

:wink: