latest ML Security update urpmi not working

kmack

Guess this is my Christmas present? Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Running ML 9.0 here.

Not one to wait, I downloaded the rpms listed in latest urpmi update from ML Security team. I downloaded because Mandrake Update doesn't work well with the slow connection I have today and my mirror had not updated yet. Wish I had waited for it now. All pkgs checked out as verified.

I followed instructions and did rpm -Fvh *.rpm in the directory with the downloads and as root. It didn't run properly at first so I deleted the db.001 db.002 files in /var/lib/rpm and tried again. This time it seemed to work.

Now my urpmi won't update and I see the Texstar source has been corrupted. I have tried to remove it and Software Source Manager shuts down. When I tried to edit and insert the proper info it also shuts down when I try to save changes.

Also, the INSTALL SOFTWARE module no longer shows anything when it opens.

rpm --rebuilddb doesn't seem to work now either and didn't help the Install Software tool find installed packages. Kpackage shows the urpmi updates DID install and are the new versions.

Questions:

1. I downloaded all seven pkgs in the email list into the same directory and then ran the command rpm -Fvh *.rpm Was I wrong to run this on all 7 rpms?

2. Any advice how to get rpm urpmi running again?

Clue: Noticed that texstar entry is not enabled in Software Mgr and the URL is deleted. Strange that it does not show in any of the urpmi directories except for /etc/urpmi/ urpmi.cfg which does have an entry for texstar source. Does this point to the problem?

Again, thanks for any advice on how to return things to normal. Happy Holidays!

If you can successfully remove the files you downloaded, try reinstalling with rpm -Uvh instead. If you can't get rid of them, install them over what's already there try using the --force switch with -Uvh . This is dangerous because it may leave you with no alternative but a reinstall. As long as you can use your system wait a bit until some others have a chance to look at your problem with a better solution.

You have acccidentally discovered the way I always do updates by direct download from the mirror. If you put them in a directory in /home you don't need to go through all that downloading again.

Counterspy

Was I wrong to run this on all 7 rpms?
-F is for the same version that's already installed. To freshen a already installed pkg. -U is what you should have used for a newer version, as Counterspy pointed out. BUT, it's always best to uninstall b4 installing the newer. the only time I'd -Uvh is if the dep list is really long and/or it'll break the sys, major pain ect. Even then, I've droped down to init 3 (console) and done it the hard way, but that was in 8.1. Since I haven't had any probs in 9.0 (except for --noclean) I might try the -U? I haven't been faced with that decision yet though.

Any advice how to get rpm urpmi running again?
Remove sources you've added leaving only the cd's>check for _db.0x files, rpm --rebuilddb>uninstall the pkgs you -F'd>reinstall the default from the cd's or the new with -ivh>add your sources>check for _db.0x files, rpm --rebuilddb

You have acccidentally discovered the way I always do updates by direct download from the mirror. If you put them in a directory in /home you don't need to go through all that downloading again.
Hopefully the new updates have fixed the urpmi and the --noclean option not working.

Counterspy and bvc,

Thanks for your input. I am sort of sitting on this since for a time to see what my options are. Everything except Software Manager, ML Update, and Source Manager are working so far. I even think Kpackage is ok and might be an interim solution too.

I followed the instructions in the Mandrake Secure Team advisory when I did the upgrade:

If you want to upgrade manually, download the updated package(s) from one of our FTP server mirrors and upgrade with "rpm -Fvh *.rpm".

So, sometimes following instructions can get you into problems too! :shock:

I am not able to remove entries in Software Manager or via urpmi.removemedia now. That is the problem. When I try, it only disables the entries and leaves them in the list (unchecked). It also puts the __db.001 / 002 files back into /var/lib/rpm directory. Ultimately, I may have to go into the directories (/var/lib/rpm and /var/lib/urpmi) and delete the existing files to clean things out, but I am a bit reluctant to go that far before I give a chance to get some input from ML Secure Team or guys like you that know more than I!

Again, thanks for the help. I'll keep this post updated in case someone else gets bit by this.

Here is more info on this:

I ran rpm -V for each of the seven rpm's I downloaded for the urpmi update. They all show that they are NOT installed. Then I checked /var/lib/rpm and deleted the db.001 and db.002 files and did rpm --rebuilddb and I see the two db.0xx files have reappeared. I tried the rpm -V on each of the seven files as both user and root and none of them show as installed. for example:

[kelly@localhost security]$ rpm -V urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk.noarch.rpm

package urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk.noarch.rpm is not installed

[kelly@localhost security]$ rpm -q urpmi

urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk

Kind of confusing to me. Is this because there is corruption in my db of installed software? Which one do I believe? I do notice in Kpackage that the packages are showing the new versions and proper new install time.

Another oddity is my clock is changing time and date with each reboot after this problem. Wierd... any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

any ideas?
Yeah..? Try (except add the .1)

{bvc9 09:52 PM bvc9}>rpm -q urpmi

urpmi-4.0-20mdk

{bvc9 09:53 PM bvc9}>rpm -V urpmi

{bvc9 09:53 PM bvc9}>rpm -V urpmi-4.0-20mdk

{bvc9 09:53 PM bvc9}>

If you add the noarc.rpm, it doesn't work.

{bvc9 09:53 PM bvc9}>rpm -V urpmi-4.0-20mdk.noarch.rpm

package urpmi-4.0-20mdk.noarch.rpm is not installed

{bvc9 09:53 PM bvc9}>

Thanks for reply bvc! Sorry, but I am still not 100% clear on what you are saying here. Sounds like I should not have run the "noarch" rpm right?

I followed your example and am posting results below:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ rpm -q urpmi

urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ rpm -V urpmi

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ rpm -V urpmi-4.0.20.1mdk

package urpmi-4.0.20.1mdk is not installed

[kelly@localhost kelly]$

Any other way I can determine what version is installed or not installed? Kpackage DOES show it installed. That makes me think that the db files are still not correct.

Guest southernguy

i recently downloaded some updated urpmi and initscripts and they messed some things up here too, tho not so drastic as all that. my menu and kickerbar links quit working in my normal user account for all the urpmi front ends but they did still show up in the software manager. i just had to log in as root to make them run, it quit prompting for a password and letting me run it from a normal user login.

to fix that part i just went in and added 'kdesu' to the menu and kickerbar shortcuts.

as for the corrupted source files i had to delete all the list files associated with them and take their lines out of the config manually, then re add them. i strongly suggest that you go to the command line as SOON as anything strange happens in the GUI. i'm on a dialup connection here and all that has to happen to usually fry things is for me to get disconnected during a download.

while i'm on the subject...

rant/

WHY DOES URPMI DELETE THE PACKAGES IT ALREADY DOWNLOADED IF AN INSTALL CRASHES?

i put a job in my root's cron to copy them to somewhere else every five minutes so that i don't have to download them all again but geez you'd think they'd know we don't all have half a T1 or better at our disposal for doing this stuff. urpmi REALLY needs to be more fault tolerant, or at least the GUI does. besides i'd just as soon keep everything i download anyway. maybe there's a switch in a config file or in a shell script somewhere that can change this behavior? anyone know?

/rant

YUK! That's not good. When you did

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ rpm -V urpmi-4.0.20.1mdk

you should have got

[kelly@localhost kelly]$

as I did, because

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ rpm -q urpmi

returned

urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk

The _db.0x files are only suppose to be there when you are running an rpm proccess.

WHY DOES URPMI DELETE THE PACKAGES IT ALREADY DOWNLOADED IF AN INSTALL CRASHES?
Not suppose to.

maybe there's a switch
--noclean

See

man urpmi

urpmi --help

The problem is that this isn't working in the 9.0 urpmi. As I stated above, I hope the updates fix this. Also, most pkgs (not mdk's) aren't signed. So when I get the popup in mcc>Sfware Mgr, or message in a term with urpmi I copy them myself.

As the people here say, saya pusing, dong! It literally means this is making me dizzy! :lol:

I really don't know what to do. Gonna take a short break for lunch and hope it looks better when I return. Thanks for your help bvc... I appreciate it.

Southernguy, I agree that the urpmi and rpm interface still needs some work. Hopefully this upgrade is a step in that direction. Now if I can just get it working! :roll:

If I remember correctly, you use kde. Gnorpm (gnorpm) requires a few gnome pkgs but it a great graphical tool for doing things yourself. Verify, query, Upgrade, and by default is set up with a feature called Web Find through http://rpmfind.net. I had an up to date ML8.1 using gnorpm and a term. It'll also tell you the missing pkgs (deps), giving you the option to ignore and force an install, and does the same for uninstalling. It tells you what pkgs need the rpm/s you want to uninstall, and allows you to force the uninstall.

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.p...hp?query=gnorpm

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/cooke...10mdk.i586.html

{bvc9 12:25 AM bvc9}>rpm -q gnorpm

gnorpm-0.96-10mdk

bvc, thanks again for your suggestions. I have the gnorpm installed but have not used it.

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ rpm -q gnorpm

gnorpm-0.96-10mdk

Stlll thinking about the options, but about ready to do the manual delete route as southernguy advised and see what happens.

:wink:

Guest smoketoomuch

Have you tried rebuilding your rpm database? (rpm -rebuilddb ... i think). I also found texstar's apt-get and synaptic to solve some problems occasionally. Try it, it might show what's wrong...