Upgrading to KDE 3.2.2

floyd_3313

I recently ran Mandrake Update which updated some KDE 3.2 packages for me. However now KDE is segfaulting all over the place. (This is the second time I've done this post because of one such segfault).

I figure the best way to fix the problem is to upgrade to the latest version for which rpms, which as far as I know is 3.2.2

How do I go about upgrading? Do I just download the RPMS, or do I remove the old packages first?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Floyd

Edited by floyd_3313

Hi Floyd

Do you have your rpm sources set? If not go herew and it is explained.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600

go to your menu , under SYSTEM-CONFIGUREATION-PACKAGING and click on INSTALL SOFTWARE.

You will be promptrd for your root password and this will open up rpmdrake

typr kde in the search engine

MIne shows:

Name: kdebase

Version: 3.2-79mdk

Size: 0 KB

Summary: K Desktop Environment - Core files

Description: Core applications for the K Desktop Environment. Here is an overview of the directories:

Then check the box and click on install. It will probably give you a list of dependencies, click OK, and then let it install the software.

If you have dial-up, it will take awhile cause KDE is big and cumbersome.

IF you have any questions post them here and then pm me and I will get back to you.

Edited by kilimanjaro

Thanks, but my repository only has KDE 3.2 rpms (as it seems yours does). I would like to try and get 3.2.3.

I have found a mirror with the rpms.

What command do I use?

rpm -Fvh ftp://mirror_directory

gets dependancy errors for files that are in that directory. I dont want to use -U coz it will install a whole heap of languages I dont need.

What about

rpm -Fvh --aid ftp://mirror_directory

??

Is this right?

Also, how do I get it to cache the downloads? Every time I try to do it and get dependancy errors, I have to download the WHOLE lot again! :(

There are a couple of ways you can do this. First thing would be to add some ftp sources to urpmi. Please read about urpmi in the faq's. This will explain in great detail about the function of urpmi, adding sources, and how to instal software with it. In summary, those files that Mandrake complained about that are needed are called dependencies and they are required to make some programs work. Urpmi will install the rpm you want to install plus whatever dependencies required. Next, you can either follow the suggestion in the previous post regarding upgrading kde, or you can download the kde rpms yourself from www.kde.org. Create a folder just to store the kde rpms. Then from a console as root type:

urpmi *

This will install those rpms in order plus whatever dependencies requried.

Edited by spiedra

speidra is talking about the link in my first post. It shows how to set up download sources. Once you have them then you can use rpmdrake or in a terminal as root you can use urpmi kde-3.2 and it should solve all of your dependancy issues automatically. If it doesn't then you have a problem some where. Currently I am having this problem. Everything else works fine. So I use the command urpmi kde-3.2 --allow-force

this installs where you have the denpencies or not.

BUT be very sure when you do this cause it can screw things up. you can find more commands for urpmi by typing urpmi -h and it will give you a list

Hello,

Well I'm going to do the same thing. But right now I'm going thrue some space on my HD issues. Here is the link from & written by the almighty Mod illogic-al,

Click here

If you have any problems post back I'll inform him about this thread so If you run into any problems then he will be able to help you with, since I have not tried it my self yet. Hope this helps,

-Luis

I'm sorry for that I have no Idea how that came to be here is the real link,

Click here

I am positive that I put this link up, I'm now sure that some one was messing around with my post, because I did this last night and I checked the link and it worked.

-Luis