Mplayer

kilimanjaro

try going into mplayer->preferences->codecs & demuxer tab. check what codecs you are using. change to win32 codecs if it isn't set to that. try a .wmv file again. can paly all file extension types in mplayer without fail.

Chris

You have the whole wmv file? Some of them will only play if you have it all (if you see small yellow/red/green squares thats a sign :) ) Try playing it with the -ids or -forceidx option

Else try downloading the codecs from the mplayer site. I've yet to see a file mplayer doesn't play.

Good luck.

PS sorry I almost insulted you :D

Edited by devries

Yes, mplayer -idx <moviename>. But chances are not very good that it will work :(. That option builds an index and if the problem is a missing index it will solve the it. Maybe it's better to download the file again (if you can use bittorrent). That way you're sure to get it all.

Good luck.

PS: Swords or Pistols? :)

I've had problems getting MPlayer to play .wmv files that require authentication.

Windows Media Player opens these files and then tries to download a certificate or something before playing the file.

It gave me no end of grief in Windows as every time you reinstall or upgrade Media Player, you have to convince the site in question (in this case Tottenham Hotspur TV! :thumbs: ) to reset your account with them to allow the new media player to get the certificate.

The idea being that you can only watch from one PC (which sucks obviously, but I blame Microsoft for setting up the software in that way).

I had assumed that these kinds of files/streams would only ever work in Windows. Am I wrong? Should MPlayer be able to cope with these?

Sorry if I've gone off topic and this issue is unrelated, but I am getting the same results as described.

Cheers!