Netgear WGR614

Guest Jason_xo

Guest Jason_xo

Hi,

Just recently i've purchased a Netgear WGR614 Wireless router (54mbps 802.11g) and the setup worked perfect.... on windows, Being a newbie linux user i don't have the first idea on how to set it up on linux (or if its even possible?).

If somebody has managed to do this or has any information on how to, could you please post back as i searched google and found nothing on it.

Im using mandrake 10 with all 4 disk's, Thanks.

Guest Jason_xo

Hmm I had problems with the signal on the netgear took it into the shop and they said it was faulty and gave me a refund so im back to having no router, and as you have a working dlink i thought i might get one of them instead...

http://www.d-link.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaW...Nzl2KbpLU8Wseg=

Is that one right, or a different model

Guest Jason_xo

I brought the

D-Link DI-624 Extreme G.

But im having a problem, because i only have a speedtouch 330 USB modem and i'm having problems, i can't even get it to work (or even if you can use it with a USB modem) do you need a special modem for it to work with?

sorry for being the stupid newb.

You're really limiting your bandwith with that USB modem. I havn't looked at DSL modems for awhile so I don't know what the cost on them is but if it where me I'd get a new Modem with an ethernet connection.

I looked at my router and there does't seem to be anyplace for a USB connection. So you may need to go that route anyway. I know it seems like a pain in the butt, but the added bandwidth with an etho connection and the freedom of wireless sure makes it worth it.

Hi

I also had the Speedtouch330 and had so many problems trying to make it connect in Mandrake, I eventually abandoned it for an ethernet modem/router/firewall.

That said, this post about getting the 330 to work has since arisen and might be useful

which can be found here

The modem/router/firewall I purchased was the Netgear DG834 and it works perfect with Mandrake 9.2 so I should imagine it will be totally fine with 10.00 - there is also a wireless version - DG834G

(if you are sharing the conenction, then just as if using windows, you need to configure your boxes for DHCP - via MCC - configure connection then share connection)

Remember to switch off the built in Mandrake Firewall (from the MCC) otherwise you will be unlikely to make a connection. It's so easy, no drivers required, and configuration via a browser - voila! Up and running with a connection in just a few mins.

Abandoning the 330 and investing in an ethernet router/modem/firewall was a real investment. No looking back.

Edited by ChrisM