SATA and Linux

liquidzoo

How well does SATA work in Linux? Does anyone have it working? Was it a pain in the ass?

Here's what I'm planning:

I'm building a computer for a friend of mine and need a hard drive. I have a 40GB hd in my system right now that would work perfectly, but...this is my /home drive. I want to copy the contents of the 2 partitions on that drive (/home and /var/www/html) to the new SATA drive, then set up my fstab to point to the new SATA drive for those 2 partitions so I can safely remove the 40 gig drive.

I'm sure this can be done, but I need to know how well SATA works in Linux before I go off and spend the money for the drive and find out it won't work at all.

Here's the relevant info:

Mandrake 10.1 RC1 (cooker updates daily)

Kernel 2.6.8.1-8mdk

Need anything else? Just ask

Thanks. That sorted it out for me. (good thing too, I already ordered the drive :lol2:)

Second part of the equation...

I want to create the partitions using diskdrake for /home and /var/www/html This I know how to do, so that won't be a problem and I will mount them as something like /mnt/home and /mnt/var/www/html temporarily.

I know I can just copy the contents of the existing partitions over very easily (cp -R /home /mnt/home etc.) but will (after rebooting and umounting both drives) simply editing the fstab to point the correct mountpoints to the new drive work? I don't see why not, but I want to make sure.

My only real concern about the whole thing would be running into a permissions problem. I know that in theory what I'm wanting to do will work.

Has anyone done this before? I'm sure someone has. Even if it's with 2 ATA (EIDE, UDMA, whatever you want to call it) drives.

I'm glad for the vote of confidence I have received. I know I'm overthinking this, but sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution, no?

Anyway, the drive will be here on Thursday (FedEx overnight) along with a new DVD +/- RW ($57 at newegg, for anyone interested) so I'll report back with my findings as soon as everything is done.

Ok, here we go...

First off, if you're installing an SATA drive after you already have a system installed, make sure you know what module your SATA controller uses. You can find this out in harddrake. Click on your SATA controller and look at the module entry.

For me, it's sata_via

Add this in /etc/modules.preload

Then, when you install the drive, it will be /dev/sda or /dev/sdb (you get the idea) Then you can create your partitions (I used diskdrake), format them, then start copying files, if you want.

Modifying fstab was about the easiest thing in the world and everything works perfectly.

Oh, by the way, it took me about 30 minutes to transfer 28 gigs of info from one drive to the other.