RPM installs don't work

DJ_Max

Hello, so far I've been doing updates and such via the control center. But for some odd reason, whenever I try to install any software via RPM, it doesn't seem to work.

For example, I tried to install the Nano RPM package.

rpm -ivh http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v1.2/RPMS/nano-1.2.4-1.src.rpm

It said it was retriving it, and even did the download. But when i did nano, it still said command not found. I also did rpm -q nano, and it said the package wasn't found.

Any ideas?

Now that I'm trying to install from the source, it says I have no C compilers

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
Edited by DJ_Max

Stupid me, I didn't have the gcc, c or cl compilers installed. So I used grpmi, and installed automake, gcc, and all that other good stuff.

As I'm installing Apache 2.0.50 & PHP 5.0.1, and I don't see them in rpmdrake, so i'll compile manually.

Thanks a lot

I still have to find out why the RPM install worn't work.

Edited by DJ_Max

Not to tred on the toes of :bvc: but you should probably look for full binary rpms rather than the source ones. If you're wanting recent versions of apache and php it might be worth looking at the cooker rpm packages - if you're using an rpm based distro you might as well use rpms eh... :)

I still have to find out why the RPM install worn't work.

because

nano-1.2.4-1.src.rpm
it's a .src.rpm

you build an rpm with that with

rpmbuild --rebuild nano-1.2.4-1.src.rpm

Ok, I'll try that when I get home. I always used the binary, and never knew you had a different command for src. :D

EDIT: I get command not found.

Not to tred on the toes of  :bvc:  but you should probably look for full binary rpms rather than the source ones.  If you're wanting recent versions of apache and php it might be worth looking at the cooker rpm packages - if you're using an rpm based distro you might as well use rpms eh... :)

I installed Apache manually. I can't get PHP5 to install due to the fact that I need libxml(2)- 2.5.10. And Mandrake came with an older version, so I need to find a way to upgrade.

I never looked at the cooker rpm packages, but I'll take your advice.

Thanks again.

EDIT: ok the cooker rpm's have the right version of libxml2 that i need, but I can find a way to upgrade from the version I have, as it keeps saying it will break dependencies. :angry:

Edited by DJ_Max

never knew you had a different command for src. biggrin.gif

EDIT: I get command not found.

ensure you have the rpmbuild package installed, and you'll probably have to run the command as root unless you make some changes to your buildroot settings. It's probably just easier to find a binary rpm :)

ok the cooker rpm's have the right version of libxml2 that i need, but I can find a way to upgrade from the version I have, as it keeps saying it will break dependencies.

This is a common occurence when attempting to install cooker packages in a stock mandrake set up. It's also a problem you're going to have when trying to install the latest and greatest software in a distro thats coming towards a new release.

indeed going back to Ixthusdans post....

The easiest way is to use urpmi since all the deps will be sorted out if possible.

to do this you need your urpmi sources set up (see FAQ for easy urpmi)

then it will find the cooker versions of deps when needed...

if not then like Qchem says its the price of bleeding edge software and its going to take persistance!

I found a later version of libxml2 as it's no where near bleeding edge. urpmi always seems to install an outdated version. For example i used it with gaim, and got a version that doesn't connect to the new server for yahoo. :huh:

Maybe it's the server I'm set to?

I found libxml2 -2.6.13 and got it installed, but when compiling php5, it says it can't find xml2-config, which is just a script to define certain libraries.

It may be due to the fact that i don't have libxml2-devel installed.

ensure you have the rpmbuild package installed, and you'll probably have to run the command as root unless you make some changes to your buildroot settings. It's probably just easier to find a binary rpm

I doubt it's installed. I'm not going to worry about it since the cooker rpm's so far have everything I need.

Edited by DJ_Max

Alright, I'll try that. For the most part I have a hang on everything now.

Edit: this is what I get

libxml2-devel:/usr/bin/xml2-config
libxml2-devel:/usr/share/man/man1/xml2-config.1.bz2

Edited by DJ_Max

Alright, can't seem to get anythong to work right. It looks like i need to install libxml2-devel as well. But when I get the cooker RPM, and try to install it, it says

error: failed dependencies:
       devel(libm)   is needed by libxml2-devel-2.6.13-1mdk
       devel(libz)   is needed by libxml2-devel-2.6.13-1mdk

Where do I find these packages?

Edited by DJ_Max

Thanks, but I got nano installed, but that isn't my problem, I need to get PHP5 running. I installed libxml2 version 2.6.13 via rpm, as urpmi was out of date. But now i think i need libxml2-devel as well but can't seem to instll it.