MottS

ok .. eeee... where to start.

I installed the 3 following packages related to ssh

1) openssh-3.4p1-4mdk

2) openssh-client-3.4p1-4mdk

3) openssh-server-3.4p1-4mdk

Then I started ssh by typing

service sshd start

I then opened port 22 on my firewall via MCC->Security->Firewall (clic on SSH)

Then, from school I connected to port 22 of my computer, entered my Linux user name (gd) and my password and BAM .. I was in my $HOME directory.

This is it ? I mean it is that simple to remotly access my machine SECURELY ? Please tell me that I'm wrong .. I'm not used to simple thing like that in Linux ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THKX

MOttS

Thats it thats all. On my server I installed SSH, started it and in webmin I changed the port to something other then the standard one. Then opened and forwared that port back on the firewall and am happily wandering around on the server from work.

You may not be used to it working that easily but that's definatly how easy it should be. :lol:

Yes it told me some stuff about keys .. then I accepted, entered my username and password and it was like a console on my box but remotly.

I disconnected and reconnected a couple of times to see what would happen with the key thing and didn't bother me anymore proving that I had the right key and it was the right server (no middle-in-the-middle attack)

MOttS

Didn't it prompt you to accept a key or anything the first time you logged in?

I think it should have...

But yes, once you have accepted that key from your machine, its pretty much telnet with encryption!

Yes it should have prompted him for a key. And as I scroll down I see that's hes allready responded too. heh Is it beer o'clock yet?

If you really want to get blown away, try logging on through ssh and then run a graphical application...  :wink: 

Glitz.

eeep now thats something I didn't expect to happen. Does it do that if I ssh from a windows box also? Now theres something I"m just going to HAVE to try Monday from work.

Yes you can Ronin. I don't know if you know about VNC but you can use it with ssh. VNC is the equivalent to PCanywhere in windows. However it is of course open source AND cross-platform :D .. lucky us !

Some details that may be of interest for you if you want to try.

** VNC (server and client) is on your mandrake cds ! .. this is called TightVNC

Home site of TightVNC:

http://www.tightvnc.com/

VNC in general:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/docs.html

To connect from a linux box to a linux server using VNC and SSH:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html

To connect from a windows box to a linux server using VNC and SSH:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshwin.html

Some doc from mandrakeuser.org about VNC and SSH together:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/secure/sssh5.html#vnc

If you are succesfull tell me here... I want to try !!!!!

MOttS

Yes you can Ronin. I don't know if you know about VNC but you can use it with ssh. VNC is the equivalent to PCanywhere in windows. However it is of course open source AND cross-platform :D .. lucky us !/quote]

Not VNC Motts but thanks anyhow, I use SMS at work and when I ran WIndows at home PCanywhere to connect to machines.. It was Glitzs suggestion to open a ssh session then run a gui application that I was asking about. On my linux box it opened the that I typed the command to launch.

If you really want to get blown away, try logging on through ssh and then run a graphical application...  :wink:  

Glitz.

eeep now thats something I didn't expect to happen. Does it do that if I ssh from a windows box also? Now theres something I"m just going to HAVE to try Monday from work.

I don't know. It tunnels to the host system's X window server. Since X windows is not running on the windows machine I don't think it will work. It can't hurt to try though...

Glitz.

I don't know. It tunnels to the host system's X window server. Since X windows is not running on the windows machine I don't think it will work. It can't hurt to try though...Glitz.

Yep no kidding. Its going to be interesting to see what happens in either case.

Wait a sec...You can run x apps over ssh,

I do it all the time...

But it takes some setup..

Here's what you do:

You need to download and install the new Cygwin (or if you have an older version of Cygwin, you need to download the Xfree86 bits for it) Cygwin and Xfree86 are HUGE.

Once set up, you can then type startxwin.sh in a cygwin bash shell and it will start an xwindows session. From there, you can ssh with the -X option and it will allow you to run X applications over SSH.

There are also other xservers for windows that you can buy.. but why bother, this one is free and really nice.

It's nice, but I have found that it is slower than VNC. But it really depends on the app.