2.6.3-16mdk-i686-up-4GB and Nvidia

Guest Don Jupp

Guest Don Jupp

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.3-16mdk-i686-up-4GB. According to uname -r, it worked.

However, I couldn't get the Nvidia drivers to install, and the error message in the installer's log is somewhat generic:

If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure

you either have configured kernel sources matching your

kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed

on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure

you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel

installed on your system. If you specified a separate

output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or

the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this

directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with

the appropriate nvidia-installer command line option.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? urpmi -kernel-source tells me everything's installed.

Has anyone successfully compiled the Nvidia kernel header interface for this kernel? I really don't want to go back to 2.6.3-16mdk since my entire system feels much more responsive running the new kernel. :(

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Guest Don Jupp

I just spent a while hunting around for the right sources, but apparently the only source packages available for Mandrake 10.0 are kernel-source-2.4.25-8mdk.i586.rpm and kernel-source-2.6.3-16mdk.i586.rpm. If I'm reading this page right, that is.

Ah well. Guess I'll have to downgrade or live without 3D acceleration. :(

Anyway, thanks for the hints, devries.

No that is not correct. Linux (the link in /usr/src) should a link to 2.6.3-16mdk-i686-up-4GB not to your old kernel.

No, that is not correct.

The i686-up-4GB version of the kernel is the regular kernel compiled with some different options. The linux-2.6.3-16mdk folder that /usr/src/linux is a symlink to is the correct kernel source.

I'll give you an example from my system:

[ nwn ]# uname -r

2.6.8.1-2mdk-i686-up-4GB

[ nwn ]# ls -l /usr/src/linux

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 Aug 19 10:32 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.8.1-2mdk/

[ nwn ]#

As you can see, I use the same variation of the kernel with the same type of source that he does. I'm not sure why the nvidia drivers won't install. Which drivers are you trying? Have you tried a more recent and/or earlier version of the drivers?

Sorry I stand corrected.

Something you can try: Log in your old kernel, change to init 3, log in as root, and then use the nvidia-installer to install the driver. So do nvidia-installer -k [kernelname] (the kernel name should be the same as what you see /lib/modules/[new kernel])

Good luck.

Guest Don Jupp

The driver archive I tried is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run, the most recent one. Before I installed the new kernel I was using the previous version, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run without any problems. Tried that one again, same result as with the new version.

I also tried devries' suggestion, with both driver versions. Again, exact same result as before.

Could I have screwed something up while installing the new kernel? I thought it went too smooth...

I've just upgrade to 2.6.3-16mdk-i686-up-4GB and got downloaded the 6111 nvidia driver, at the moment I'm downloading the 2.6.3-16 source.

I'll give some feedback how it went when I'm done (un/successfully)

Not likely. The nvidia-installer needs the kernel-source to build something to be able to install the driver. And it needs to now where to install the driver. I think the different names of the kernel and the kernel-source confuses it.

Look in nvidia-installer -A for more options. If you still have the driver installed for the old kernel you could try nvidia-installer -K.

Good luck

as far as i know, you do need a matching kernel source for the nvidia drivers to install. i looked, & you're right, there is not kernel-source for -4bg. but, what LiquidZoo says makes sense. also, i know the 6111 driver can be buggy to install. try installing the drivers by issuing the command as follows..........

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

note the --add-this-kernel switch at the end of the install script command.

Chris

I was able to install Nvidia 6111 with 'sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel' command. So far so good.

Now I've struggling with xf86-config-4 for 2 hours and I need some help.

This is what I did:

Init 3

su

vi etc/x11/xf86-config-4

when the screen turns up it full of:

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

no text or what so ever.

what now?

to edit the xfree file with vim the command is.........

vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

CapS sensitive, no - between 86 &Config.

Chris

aaah! Thanks :) I allways forget the Caps sensitivity.

My FPS is ~22201 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4440.200 FPS is that good? Though when i run glxgears it seems a bit clumbsy when it moves.

that's a good fps. i get around the same with a GeForceti4600. congrats!

Chris