NTFS External Hard Drive USB/Firewire

cmus

I have been led to believe from posts here that I can read files off of an NTFS formatted external hard drive. I can't find any detailed instructions as to how to do this. I have 2 external drives, one is FAT 32, the other is NTFS. When I plug either of them in, they are recognized and an icon appears on my desktop. The problem is that both of them show up in /etc/fstab as vfat. If I click on the icon for the FAT32 drive I can access it no problem. The NTFS drive appears to be blank (although I know it isn't). Is there some way to teach my system how to distinguish between these two file systems?

I've tried connecting through USB or firewire with no difference.

I'm running 10.0 and am a total newbie.

Mahalo

Craig

I have been led to believe from posts here that I can read files off of an NTFS formatted external hard drive. I can't find any detailed instructions as to how to do this. I have 2 external drives, one is FAT 32, the other is NTFS. When I plug either of them in, they are recognized and an icon appears on my desktop. The problem is that both of them show up in /etc/fstab as vfat. If I click on the icon for the FAT32 drive I can access it no problem. The NTFS drive appears to be blank (although I know it isn't). Is there some way to teach my system how to distinguish between these two file systems?

I've tried connecting through USB or firewire with no difference.

I'm running 10.0 and am a total newbie.

Mahalo

Craig

Try to edit this line in fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

Suppose that the external usb-drive is mounted with /dev/sda1.