Random freezes?!?!?! rrrrrg....

Guest zach224

Guest zach224

Does anyone else who has mandrake 10.0 have the problem of it freezing in random places and for no apparent reason? It'll freeze when I click an icon, when its booting up, when I start mozilla, just anything!! Other times it'll last for hours without a problem. What could it be? My hardware? I have a nforce2 mobo, but I thought it was supported....

hi, zach and welcome aboard. :)

there can be several reasons why your computer freezes. it can be the nvidia-graphics-driver but i think that the probable cause is a bad ram. thus, here are my questions:

did/do you experience this problem only with mandrake? did it run properly on another linux-distro (you can try e.g. knoppix, mepis or other live-cds for this) or in windows?

if no, you have with 90% certainty a bad ram.

if yes, the problem should be your nvidia-driver.

there are several topics on nvidia in this forum, so use the search function, maybe one posting is exactly like your problem and can be solved in the same way. if you don't find anything useful, post further informaton on your computer here (detailed hardware configuration if possible) and the community will be able to help you (at least i hope so).

good luck! :)

I agree with Arctic. It does sound like a ram problem. You can download a ram tester which will show if you have a problem with your ram. It's called Simmtester. It can be downloaded from www.simmtester.com

You'll just have to read a bit to use it.

If you have any hassles, like they have stopped free downloads, PM me and I'll email it to you.

It sounds like either RAM or the nvidia/nforce.

Since you can check the RAM and know its the easiest to check first!

If not like arctic says we need the exact details and also the kernel version being used!

uname -r (in a console gives the version)

also a

lsmod (as root) will list your loaded modules... and might also be helpful.

Guest digitalsuperman

i have the same problem with mandrake 10.0..

everytime i search for a file..specialy if i start searching in the root..

what could be the problem?

Is there any cause??

I had the same problem (or similiar) with Mandrake 10.0 (3 disc download running kde as desktop) then I downloaded Mandrake 10.0 power(shows the big silver star to those who cares :cheesy: )and made a new installation, no problem after that. So it had to be a driver problem, properly Nvdia driver as some suggested.