Fully compatible

jeanrev

Hi all,

Can we speak about a Linux fully compatible PC or rather

a Mandrake 10.0 fully compatible PC or a Sude 9.1 fully compatible PC ?

It is important for a newcomer to Linux to KNOW what PC will work best with the Linux distributions

and as far as I know we can only check the components against such or such distributor's lists

Why not give the newcomers every month or so the identification of three linux compatible PC with the address where we can order it and the price ?

a basic PC for wordprocessing & internet

a family PC to comply with the various needs of a family

a top computer for the masters

As you probably know : choosing a new computer is difficult for a newbie and especially if he has to check every component : graphic card, sound chip and so on ...

I wouldn't have chosen by chance my last computer bought last year in june

the identity of the motherboard wasn't even indicated on the book !

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

They can buy computers from Mandrake's website - preinstalled with Mandrake Linux.

I've found very few modern components that aren't Linux compatible to be honest. The best way to check IMO is to check whether a device has support in the kernel config.

i simply say: don't buy a comp, sporting the latest high-end hardware and you will get a comp that has surely all drivers needed installed in the kernel.

(for what is it good to have a super-high-tech comp anyway? reminds me of some guys trying to impress others with their "superfast-sportscar"...)

The hardware lists are notoriously way behind in posting new additions. The best you can do is understand the reality behind the hardware, and you'll do fine. Example, motherboards are governed by the chipset, not the name asus or epox. Video cards are also governed by the gpu, not the name xfx or asus. A little research finds all hardware to be made more with parts and less by brands. B) And watch out for windex hardware, which is usually cheap and not true hardware.

Your question really reflects educating people on computers, and not operating systems. :twisted: