No bootloader after mandrake 10 installation

Guest CnB

ok i already had XP installed

but i am about tired of the damn crap

so i wanted to switch back to linux

but still keep XP for stuff Linux cant use

so here is the situation

i got 2 HD's

1 Sata HD split in 2 Partitions C and D , Contains my XP install D is just a backup drive

and

1 ATA133 which use to be split in 3 2 for my video editing and 1 for linux

so i installed linux on it

installation went ok no problems

so i reboot

but the damn thing just skips right to XP

doing resue and restore the bootloader doesnt seem to work

Partion Magic Refuses to do the job also

so i am about out of ideas atm

does anybody know what this is al about

There must be a fundamental issue here that you are over-looking. Partition Magic can "fix" anything. There are problems with raid/sata setups, but I believe it is due to not understanding the layout and function of your particular array.

while neither Lilo , Grub or BootMagic did the job

system commander did so its ok now not as if any of the replies helped of the slightest

system commander did  so its ok now not as if any of the replies helped of the slightest

Watch your tone. No one is paid to answer your questions here as it is a user's forum. If you don't like a little fun while dealing with a problem, then feel free to post elsewhere. You'll have trouble finding a forum as easy as this, with the number of people who know what they are doing. Oh, and you're welcome that anyone even gave answers to your question.

Yes, if you don't appreciate free help. Go back to windows and wait on their technical help service line for 5 hours for some stupid answer you already knew.

Now if you do want to try and still get linux to work. You can insert the MDK 1 cd and instead of installing, pick the other option.

Then just type rescue and press enter. Inside their there is a option to reload the bootloader.

Guest Manngo

I can add a something.

I have read a thread somewhere, that Microsoft signed a secret agreement with hardware suppliers. It contains that any system, that has Windows installed on it, cannot boot any other Operating systems. It affects big hardware producers, who are using their own-written BIOS. Firstly I said it is a stupid thing.

But it is true!

I have a 1-year old Compaq in the office (compaq BIOS). I tryed to run a simple aplication, memtest86. You may know, it is a bootable floppy image containing a small program, that examines memory. It does not run under windows, it boots something else. I couldnt make my compaq to boot from it. Exactly none newer machine in the office (We have some and they are all compaq). Wery strange, but the older machines booted from the same floppy without problems.

cheers

Manngo

Edited by Manngo

system commander did so its ok now not as if any of the replies helped of the slightest

We don't need attitudes like that here. These kind people were nice to offer some help. If you don't appriceate that, get off this board and post elsewhere. In fact, don't post at any Linux forum at all. Just stick with Windows.

Edited by spiedra

I think this is going a bit overboard on chastising someone for a comment. Most of this thread was offtopic and probably not very helpful. I don't think this kind of behavior is reflective of the kind of community we're supposed to be.

Thread locked.