uninstall mandrake 10?

Guest jacksturm

Guest jacksturm

how do I uninstall mandrake 10 now that I know it's useless to me(it won't work with my internet connection) I have a dual boot setup with winxp. Do I just use partition magic to format the linux partition and then merge the 2 partitions or will this screw the mbr?

It doesnt seem like you really tried and it would be strange if its a true router using ethernet if it wont work... unless you chose DSL connection from the wizard instead of LAN connection.

However if you dont want to try the best way to get rid of linux is just to wipe the partition in partition magic etc. and then restore the windows boot loader using a boot floppy

make a windows boot floppy first and test you can boot into windows... and then you use

fdisk /mbr

or you could use boot magic

or you could answer pzatch's question and Im sure we'll get it working ... unless that router is really hacked up to only run on windows.

Networking is networking. Unless you are on a network not using tcp/ip standard, linux will work, as will any tcp/ip standardized os. From my own experience, isp's do not have help people who know anything about networking, much less linux. Their answers are generally from a spread sheet and are neither based upon experience nor knowledge.

Delete linux if you want, but do not try to claim it is because of "not working" with tcp/ip standards.

how do I uninstall mandrake 10 now that I know it's useless to me(it won't work with my internet connection) I have a dual boot setup with winxp. Do I just use partition magic to format the linux partition and then merge the 2 partitions or will this screw the mbr?

It probably will work but you etheir configured it wrong on you don't have a driver for you network card.

Its most likely the first one, I urge you to not give up so easily. Its not as hard as you think.

It's funny how I can run Mandrake 10-OE and use the internet ADSL (orDSL) service via my Lan connection on my mainboard and yet you give up so easily. I am not even a computer geek but I have learnt by asking questions politely on this very MUB and got heaps of offered help.

If you don't want to try to make the internet work for you via Mandrake then that is your loss and it means going back to the deFAULT Windows System again.

How about giving it a further go ???

Cheers. John.

Jack, just a thought but if you are using a USB modem you may need to disable PNP on your BIOS settings to get it to work. I've had this problem with Mandrake hanging when its booting to KDE trying to initialize my USB modem and found that disabling the PNP in my BIOS settings helped this. I'm still learning linux myself and am far from an expert but if you give Mandrake a chance (and with a little help from some of the great experiences of forum members here) I'm sure you will soon be writing to Bill requesting a refund on your Winblows license fee. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

if you have simply messed up your system, you can reinstall linux without a problem. you can do the following:

boot your comp and insert your 1st cd for booting. press f1. there you will find some extra options like fixing your system. you can alternatively go to "install mandrake" and do an "update" (which is a fake update in this case), thus overwriting the messed up configuration files. or you can do a clean reinstall of mandrake (using e.g. manual partitioning. very simple... i could do it, so you can do it, too ;) ). . after each of these steps, we will guide you to the learning process and you will learn a lot. be assured.

heads up. linux will take you some time to learn (nobody said you learn linux in two hours) but in this forum, you are in good hands. and remember...we all began as noobs. :)

Edited by arctic