Logging Into Pc With Ssh

Darkelve

Could anybody explain to me what I have to setup to be able to login from work (with Putty) to my home PC with SSH?

I have putty on this WinNT PC from work. What should I install (SuSe 9.1 Pro) or is ssh installed by default? Do I have to start some kind of program or service before I can login remotely to my home PC?

Also, when I use Putty, how can I find out where my home PC is? Do I have to specify an IP address and how can I find it? Further, even if I find my IP address, my PC is on a wireless network. Does that make any difference?

Sorry for all the questionmarks...

Darkelve

You need to set up a dynamic dns service (like www.dyndns.org or www.noip.com)

this gives you a fqdn live darkelve.homelinux.com so you can then resolve this using the internet's DNS resolution...

everytime your ISP changes the IP address it will update...

you need to make sure you dont firewall yourself out (port 23? by default)

On the linux PC you need a client SW that contacts the dynamic dns service and make sure sshd is running.

I presume YAST has a setup for ssh ? If you were using almost any other distro I would just tell you how to start it by default or use webmin but no doubt suse has a 'special way' to do this... (hence my dislike for 'distro specific' config tools)

you can configure ssh to only accept from certain IP ranges so if you have one from work you can add a bit of security by only allowing this network.