discovery edition or powerpack

photoworks

i would like to install mandrake 10.0 but i hesitate between the discovery edition and the powerpack edition.

Apparently the powerpack edition is more for advanced user. However in the product description, it describe the following feature :

Easily download RPMs from www.mandrakeclub.com and install them with just one click!

Does that mean that this feature is not available in the Discovery edition, as it it not mentionned ?

There are also some softwares available in the power pack, such as Blender for example which are not included in the discovery edition.

Would i be able to get them once i chose the discovery edition or do i have to opt for the Powerpack.

Is there a significant difference of installation process between the discovery and the powerpack, or is it the same ?

Well the powerpack will save you from having to search for the apps and downloading them as that edition comes with heaps more stuff. I wouldn't say it's geared for the advanced. On the contrary, I feel it is geared towards the noob's. Also I think it also comes with some propritery stuff as well. As for downloading rpms, you can add ftp sources such as cooker or plf or from any other rpm site which is the same, but I am not sure the signifacance of the mandrake club rpms. I believe they are actually cooker rpms, but I could be corrected on that one. As for installation, should be the same except more cd's.

Edited by spiedra

The discovery decision is a cut down version of the powerpack.

Assuming you have broadband and dont mind downloading then the difference is really wehat is already on a CD and what is not and needs downloading.

Having said that other than a limited membership of mandrakeclub and some manuals the only reason to buy at all is to support mandrake.

Its always good to support mandrake so iff you can afford it buy the powerpack, whichever way you look at it value wise compared to windows its win win win.

Its also nice as a first time user to have the security of the Cd's in case you do want to reinstall etc. but really the decision is mainly how much you feel you would like to supoprt mandrake.

I remember we've had this discussion before on this board, but what exactly does the PowerPack give extra that the Discovery version (or the free iso download) does not have?

We kind of agreed: "not much", as I recall. I'd say Discovery, unless the Powerpack has something you *really*, *really* want. Has Mandrake changed what's in the PowerPack in the meantime?

Edited by Darkelve

installation is the same, the only difference is what is included.

Tip: learn about urpmi as soon as you installed Mandrake

Tip... do like Darkelve says :D

(Its in the FAQ's and will enrich your experience no end)

Do i have to conclude that the feature "Easily download RPMs from www.Mandrakeclub.com and install them with just one click" is not really what it says ? Would i still have to use command lines to install new sofwares on linux ?

:unsure:

nope but you *can* if you like.

club members get 'special fast mirrors' but its the same stuff as non menmbers except a few things like you get the proper Nvidia 3D drivers (which you can just dload from nvidia anyway) ... acrobat reader (which you can download free anyway)

You can add softwre sources and then use the graphical installer.... either way or use the CLI either way...

the conceivable advantage is you get the development releases earlier but if your a complete noobie then its better to wait anyway instead of being on the bleeding edge...

which brings us back to ... how much do you wanna give mandrake?

Mandrake are crap at marketing but the operating system is great!

nope but you *can* if you like.

club members get 'special fast mirrors' but its the same stuff as non menmbers except a few things like you get the proper Nvidia 3D drivers (which you can just dload from nvidia anyway) ... acrobat reader (which you can download free anyway)

You can add softwre sources and then use the graphical installer.... either way or use the CLI either way...

the conceivable advantage is you get the development releases earlier but if your a complete noobie then its better to wait anyway instead of being on the bleeding edge...

which brings us back to ... how much do you wanna give mandrake? 

Mandrake are crap at marketing but the operating system is great!

I definitely want to invest in the PowerPack.

:D