Hard drive not detcted

I_NEED_HELP

This problem is not strictly a linux problem but i thought you might be able to help. I took my main drive to place into a different pc temporarily i did not change any jumper settings did what i needed to and then placed it back in my main pc. however upon booting it is not detected by the bios. The slave drive is detected on the same ide channel and the two optical drives are detected on he other channel.

It is a maxtor 30gb only about a year old. It is set up as the master i have tried changin the drive to slave and the other to main and it still does not work. there is no problem with the cables.

Can anyone help.

ive tried changing the ide cable, changing the position on the ide cable and changing the ide channel it is still not detecting it. I fear the worst that there has been a catastrophic failiure to he drive but if i can get the drive back to life even with losing everything on it that would be great.

Will it work back at the other pc? At least that will let you know if the HD still works or not. And did you mention you made sure the jumper was set correctly? Sorry if I am going over the obvius as I can't think of why it is not picking it up.

Edited by spiedra

Make sure you did not bend a pin when you were shuffling back and forth. One bent pin can make a drive register but non-functional.

ok i ve been at work all day but got home and had a fiddle because i have a new tv tuner card i want to play with. Ive been checking and swapping using 4 drives 1 x 15GB quantum fireball, 1 x 30GB maxtor, and 1 x 4gb maxtor and a 6gb western digital. i have tried using various other cables ide and power. the other drives are detected. i have checked all jumper settings and they are all correct. i checked the drive in another computer, and it doesnt appear this drive has any bent pins should i just consign this with my other hardware that has gone to that pc in the sky