Can't Connect to internet

NightWalker

Hi,

I successfully got Mandrake installed. Though I seem to have a problem with connecting to the internet. I use a powerline box which is networking that goes through power outlets. I don;t think that the box uses any drivers so I'm guessing its the way I set up the LAN connection. Can any one help me with setting the connection up?

Well, that's kind of what I was getting at. It sounds like you are "on the net" so dhcp is the ticket, unless your isp assigned a fixed ip. So assign dhcp at boot to eth0, I assume, and see what happens. I've read about the power plug thing, but never had any experience with it. Isn't there a box that actually has the cable/dsl hook up, and the net is distributed through the lines in the house? That box must be the dhcp server, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. The gateway might be 192.168.2.1, or something. Check it out.

Here's a not so neat way to do it. Boot windex and see what the configuration is. With xp, go to my network and network connections. Click on the connection and select properties with a left click drop down menu. With other windexes, run "winipfconfg" ( think!) and a window will come up giving you all the net information.

Here's a not so neat way to do it. Boot windex and see what the configuration is. With xp, go to my network and network connections. Click on the connection and select properties with a left click drop down menu. With other windexes, run "winipfconfg" ( think!) and a window will come up giving you all the net information.

Didn't work. Thanks for the effort though.

What didn't work??

If you post the settings from Windows here, we can tell you what to enter where in Linux...

BTW it's winipcfg or ipconfig depending on your version of Windows. You need to open a Windows console either by finding it in the start menu or selecting start->run->command or cmd, again depending on the Win version.

Chris

I use a GUI in Xp instead of command line. Any way here are the settings.

Host Name: psychosis

DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Node Type: Broadcast

Adapter Address: 00-10-DC-52-E1-E4

IP Address: 192.168.0.102

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1

OK - here's what to do in the first instance (we will set up a static address):

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 so it looks like this:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.102
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

and /etc/sysconfig/network so it looks like this:

HOSTNAME=psychosis
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

You will also need the IP address of your nameserver at the top of /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 192.168.0.1

Then reboot.

If it doesn't work now, have a look at my howto here:

simple net setup

which gives you a few other things to try and some tests (pings) you can do and what output to post for further help (e.g. 'ifconfig' and 'route -n').

Good luck!

Chris

Edited by streeter

streeter, i must admit, i am deeply impressed how smart and easy going you handle these networking things in musb. hats off. you are a real networking guru. :)

Yes I would like to thank him too :headbang:  :headbang:

Well when I reboot and i look at the "veborse" it dosent sorta hang at loading eth0 instead it says that it's busy.

Any clue what it is?

Mandrake 10 seems to do this on boot (give errors for ethx). SImply open up a terminal and bring it up manually (drop it first to ensure it is free). Works for me everytime