I can't install Fluxbox!

Urza9814

I can't manage to get fluxbox installed...I'm having the usual problems I have with tar.gz files...I do what it says, and it doesn't get installed or something...I did the './configure' 'make' 'su' 'make install', then I logged out...it wasn't in the DM menu...so I rebooted...still wasn't there...so then I went into a console and tried just typing 'fluxbox' and 'fluxbox-0.1.14' since that works for IceWM...says it doesn't exist...

There are a few things that look bad in the output when I installed it though...

in ./configure:

[urza9814@localhost fluxbox-0.1.14]$ ./configure

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr//bin/install -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

/home/urza9814/fluxbox-0.1.14/missing: Unknown `--run' option

Try `/home/urza9814/fluxbox-0.1.14/missing --help' for more information

configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing

But it said 'fluxbox version 0.1.14 configured successfully.'

In make I got this at the end:

fluxbox.cc:1976: error: `B_EuropeanDate' undeclared (first use this function)

fluxbox.cc:1976: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)

fluxbox.cc: In member function `void Fluxbox::load_rc(BScreen*)':

fluxbox.cc:2324: error: `B_AmericanDate' undeclared (first use this function)

make[3]: *** [fluxbox.o] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/urza9814/fluxbox-0.1.14/src'

make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/urza9814/fluxbox-0.1.14/src'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/urza9814/fluxbox-0.1.14'

make: *** [all] Error 2

and in make install I got...the same thing as in make.

If there's something else I should look for in this I got it saved...I dunno...any ideas???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Once you have downloaded the rpm it's very easy to install all you have to do is this:

rpm -ivh <nameoffluxbox.rpm>

Of course with out the <>, to make sure that you are writing the right file name you can cd into the directory where you have saved the rpm and all you have to do is type in the first letter of the rpm and hit TAB and it will auto-complete it for you. Post back if you have any further problems,

-Luis

Thanks, I tried the old mandy RPMs on the fluxbox site, but got a missing page error...I've installed RPMs before...never managed to get a tar.gz to work actually...lol...but yea, hopefully this will work now...

edit:

It works...seems a bit slower than Blackbox though...and I don't see much difference...well, ATM I have yet to see any difference between it and blackbox...except the taskbar thingy at the bottom actually shows minimized windows...which I don't really like :P

and those tab things...which are really annoying me...lol

Edited by Urza9814

wow...that looks a lot better...but it's a tar.gz! :P

eh...I'll try again...and if it fails I will once again realize that I cannot install tarballs and will not get anything that's not an rpm if avoidable :P

edit:

Well, I started it up, got to 'make'...it was taking a while so I read a bit of a book...went downstairs, watched some TV, came back up a half hour later and it's STILL going! :-S

I don't think this is a good sign...

...wait...it just finished! :P

Edited by Urza9814

ok...this is cool, but what can it DO? Especially what can it do that blackbox can't?

I got the menu transparency, but I can't figure out how to make windows transparent...doesn't seem to be working. Also, is there a way to hide minimized windows like in Blackbox? And how do I change the taskbar colors and stuff? Windowmaker seems a lot more customizable, and easier so you can change it based on your mood; IceWM gets things done faster and is easier to move around...what's the benifit of fluxbox?

hmmm...perhaps I'll start a topic on this...

ok...this is cool, but what can it DO? Especially what can it do that blackbox can't?

I got the menu transparency, but I can't figure out how to make windows transparent...doesn't seem to be working. Also, is there a way to hide minimized windows like in Blackbox? And how do I change the taskbar colors and stuff? Windowmaker seems a lot more customizable, and easier so you can change it based on your mood; IceWM gets things done faster and is easier to move around...what's the benifit of fluxbox?

hmmm...perhaps I'll start a topic on this...

Try reading my FAQ. That describes transparency.

Fluxbox is very customizable, you just need to open your eyes.

Follow the link i gave you. It has links to thousands of styles, and answers to all of your questions.

Then maybe look in the man page, 'man fluxbox' and it will tell you a lot too.

Dont crawl back to us and expect to be hand fed.

iphitus

I read the transparency thing on the FAQ...I got to /[username]/[.fluxbox]/' ...but the rest of it doesn't exist :S All that's there are 5 files: init, keys, menu, slitlist, and startup. There may be some hidden ones too, but I typed in 'style' and it just opened a blank file...

edit:

Well, I got gaim booting with it...but I can't seem to get themes or dockapps working... :S

...and the set background thing isn't working...

/usr/local/bin/fbsetbg: line 168: xmessage: command not found
Usage: fbsetbg [-u/-U [wallpapersetter]] [-fFcCtTaA /path/to/wallpaper]
               [-r/-R /path/to/wallpaperdirectory]
               [-b/-B bsetrootoptions] [-l] [-h] [-i] [-p]
Use ``fbsetbg -h'' for a complete help message.

Edited by Urza9814

I've got a bit further...I found my styles and stuff were in /usr/share/fluxbox, so I'm working from there...still not having much success though...I don't have a window.alpha or toolbar.alpha in any themes (or any that I've looked at anyways), so I tried adding them...only thing I've managed to change was the bar at the top of the window...

Edited by Urza9814

aight, something really messed up is happening now. I copied the Rancor style and was messing with it a bit, not really figuring anything out...then I figured out how to make the bg an image. Ever since I did that, the menu's been really messed up. The text and formatting is of Rancor, but the coloring (most of it) is of whatever skin I had on last. Like, if I switch to something else then switch back to mine, the menu and top of the windows have the color of the previous theme, EXCEPT the very top of the menu fades from the previous color to red (in Rancor it's black to red)...and the text and formatting and everything is the same as Rancor.

Also, I can't make the menu transparent anymore...I tried restarting fluxbox, logging out, and rebooting, but nothing works! WTF is going on?!?!? *confused* :S