Top Ten

Guest Flex22

Guest Flex22

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the top ten Router/Switching Hub's to connect a server running Mandrake 10, and connecting to other computers running Windows o/s. They will all share the same internet connection, as well as access to files on the server or any other computer within the network.

Thanks,

Flex

Are you asking for a Internet (DSL/Cablemodem) switch/router or a regular switch/router? Personally, I think anything with a solid reputation is good enough, especially for just Internet sharing. Back in the States, I used to share my DSL connection with a D-Link router and other than making sure it doesn't run too hot, it seems to be running perfectly for sharing internet between Mandrake and Windows. The same goes for regular switch/router. A cheapo 20 dollar one would do if you are not doing something like high-bandwidth transfer every day.

Guest Flex22

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to respond to this. I've had good luck with my Linksys equipment. I have a 4 port wireless/ethercable switching router that seems to be working out great between the two operating systems. I was just curious if someone knew of anything better than what I have. I don't really plan on moving alot of data between the computers in my network unless I have to, ie: system crash or something drastic like that, but it's always nice to have the raciest toys to play with. :twisted:

Flex

After playing around with a few switch/routers (Internet and regular LAN), I come to a conclusion that Brand name is overrated. A no brand Switch router (for 20 bux) can do the same job as a 3 Com Switch/router that cost almost 5 times as much. Most of the components are made in the same company anyway (that is, China). As long as you take care of your equipments, those thing last for a long time (barring accidents like electrical spike).

Im with dragonmage....

Commercially I guess the expensive ones squeeze more packets but if you are just using it to connect to the internet then .....

Also why pay more for a 10Mbit/s than 100 ? (even if you get 90% of the 10 and only 50% of the 100)

Wireless might make a difference on range...

so that just leaves advanced features like firewall's ...

However personally I do that on a seperate Linux server so I dont care.