A good software to read PDFs

Guest BoBinou

Guest BoBinou

Hi !

With K Ghostview I can't select any text in order to copy it...

With Acrobat Reader (5.0.8) my mousewheel does not work...

Is there a software that can do both ?!

Thanks

Edited by BoBinou

You won't get anything better than Acrobat Reader for reading PDF. It's their format, isn't it?

Were I you, I would try to make the wheel work with acrobat reader. Maybe by associating the UP and DOWN mouse buttons (the wheel) to the UP and DOWN keys, using probably imwheel.

Yves.

xpdf has tended to work well for me in the past, same with gpdf (although thats for gnome obviously). I think theres a patch for acro that enables you to use a mousewheel, it'll mean rolling your own rpm though.

I tend to find I get better results with xpdf/gpdf than with acro, but YMMV

I also prefer xpdf, but unfortunately there is nothing that will allow you to copy and paste text.

It's due to the nature of .pdf - it's like asking if there is a jpg viewer that would allow you to copy paste out of a picture, if that makes sense.

xpdf should support your mousewheel though, but if you want to select text, you'd need a pdf editor and there aren't any free ones AFAIK.

I also prefer xpdf, but unfortunately there is nothing that will allow you to copy and paste text.

It's due to the nature of .pdf - it's like asking if there is a jpg viewer that would allow you to copy paste out of a picture, if that makes sense.

the pdf reader in windows does it (well copy pdf text and paste it on a text editor). unless the pdf has the security setting on so you cant copy it unless you want to do it manually (type it again).

ciao!

the pdf reader in windows does it (well copy pdf text and paste it on a text editor).  unless the pdf has the security setting on so you cant copy it unless you want to do it manually (type it again).

ciao!

Didn't know that... but then I've hardly used Windows for the last few years... so... :juggle:

Actually pdf is an open format.

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/PLRM.pdf

The exact whether you can cut/paste depends on what is int he pdf.

A pdf can hold for instance vector and bmp's with the bmp in the backgound.

This is easily usable for instance with scanned and ocr'd text where the scan is kept in the background as an image for checking.

If text is unprotected then its a copy/paste...

however may utilities exist to convert to .ps or html etc. too.

see

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/index.htm

I often use these on locked pdf's to extract text (like MS EULA's)

Guest BoBinou

Thanks for your answers

(...)

The exact whether you can cut/paste depends on what is int he pdf.

(...)

OK PDFs can be protected, then you will have to use an OCR, a converter or whatever... But using this trick for a non-protected document is a really waste of time especially when copy/paste exists.

I didn't use xpdf because I think we can't switch the display to fullscreen ; perhaps I'm wrong, I can't check this right now (I'm browsing in my university with their brand-new Windows XP Pro :angry: what a waste of money !).

I will try something with imwheel, I will probably come back soon to ask how to make it work ;)