MYSQL server

Guest RichardG

Guest RichardG

Hello All,

I'm looking for a Linux product to install a mysql server on my home-office network. It would run on an old intel pentium 3 box. I develop websites on Windows (DW/Coldfusion/MS SQL) but want to start learning a bit about Linux.

Most importantly, I need to set this up quickly so I can keep working on a new project I just started using mysql, and THEN slowly ease into the intricacies of Linux.

Is Mandrake a good choice?

Which version?

How complicated would the setup be?

thanks!

Richard

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Is Mandrake a good choice?

Which version?

How complicated would the setup be?

Yes, very.

Newest stable version, currently 10 OE.

Trivial can install when you install the os or later via "install software" gui or via urpmi command.

I would recommend using Apache for display webpages, mysql for your database, and proftp for your file transfer protocol.

You can also control of these using webmin

You can select Apache, Mysql, and Prodtp from the server packages when you install Mandrake 10,0 Official.

To get webmin:

Once you install mandrake, open up a terminal such a xterm or gnome terminal and type.

Su

<enter root password>

urpmi webmin

and that'll install webmin for you. Then just start webmin as a service in Mandrake Control Center> System > Services. You can then configure your server at https://localhost:10000

Best of luck,

SwiftDeath

*Smile*

It's good to see that so many people would "like to learn" linux :). MySql is very very powerful, installing mysql by selecting it during Linux Installation is your best bet to get it running the fastest possible way.

I guess you'll only be using it on your internal network? Also, if you wanna run the server as a Database Server only, you'll need to do some things like add a user and giving that user specific rights from remote locations (i.e, your webserver, other connecting servers etc). Please, even if you just start out on a local LAN, consider security aspects of your servers, so that you can build good habits from the start. If you wanna continue using other web servers/services to query the database, you will need mysql db connectors, which you may download from the mysql site.

Shout if you need more help.

Regards,

Armond