New Hardware fully compatible Mdk 10

Guest reducer

Guest reducer

Hi, I'm wondering this : I wan't to buy new hardware, i.e. a fully new computer based on a AMD 64 Athlon (wanna go 64 bits) but I want it to be fully compatible with Mandrake 10. How can I know at forehand I'll be buying fully compatible hardware ? I mean, I want to buy a new machine, but I want to make my own selection of hardware and this regarding to a compatibility list. I know there is the official Mandrake compatibility list, but I think it's a little too restrictive and not very up to date for someone who wants new. Maybe there is a site with good hardware tests, a bit like Tom's Hardware (for those who know that site) where linux compatibilities are on the topic too. Someone has an idea ?

Guest Adriano
Hi, I'm wondering this : I wan't to buy new hardware, i.e. a fully new computer based on a AMD 64 Athlon (wanna go 64 bits) but I want it to be fully compatible with Mandrake 10.  How can I know at forehand I'll be buying fully compatible hardware ?  I mean, I want to buy a new machine, but I want to make my own selection of hardware and this regarding to a compatibility list.  I know there is the official Mandrake compatibility list, but I think it's a little too restrictive and not very up to date for someone who wants new.  Maybe there is a site with good hardware tests, a bit like Tom's Hardware (for those who know that site) where linux compatibilities are on the topic too.  Someone has an idea ?

Sorry, but the only other thing you can do is pray... Maybe checking the Linux compatibility lists (and downloading new kernels perhaps) at linux.org, but if you really want to be sure you can only either check Mandrake's compatibility list or install the hardware and test it.

No, I lie. Google is always your friend. For every abstruse piece of hardware, there's always a nutcase who's bought it and tried it on Linux before you do. Said nutcase does also manage to write up something in a forum about it. I know this leads to a paradox, but so far the universe hasn't collapsed, and I got my computer working, so who cares?

Check also websites like linuxhardware.org (.com), they review hardware (athlon64 mobo's for instance) and tell in how far things work with linux.

Check for a mobo, plenty of info on the web. For other hardware, make sure that there are open source drivers (basically, anything that works with Mandrake download editions out of the box means the drivers are included with the kernel) which means that they will be available for amd64 systems (just compiled with different options).

You'll want nvidia graphics, since ATI has not released a closed source 64bit driver yet.

With a lot of google, you can find almost all info you want. Search for "<some reference> linux".

That's how I chose my Pinnacle PCTV Stereo. I have to run a self-compiled kernel, though (which is not all that hard to do).

Yves.

What YinYet said, I just built this system a few weeks ago and chose all my hardware by doing Google searches like "Shuttle SK41G Linux" or nVidia GeForce 4 Mandrake 10" (not always fruitful but sometimes you get perfect information), perusing forums and reading specs very carefully. Linuxhardware.org is also very useful and can give you some good insight into chipset support and performance. Personally, I find buying a few months back almost guaruntees good Linux support as the community works pretty hard to support most everything that comes down the pike, but bleeding edge stuff can be hard to deal with on occaision. Good luck.

how about the most simple way? take a mandrake10 move cd and test the hardware in the shop before buying it. ;)

Aye - I use PCLOS to test hardware before loading Linux on it sometimes.

Although you can't really do that to hardware you haven't already bought...

Edited by SoulSe

This method is simple, true. But it does not apply when you cannot see the computer:

- because you buy it from components parts, or

- because you buy it (or parts of it) from internet.

Yves.