Sound Problem with SB audigy2

Guest Airborne

Guest Airborne

Hi after i installed linux mandrake 10 on my computer with dual boot. i cant get any sound from my sound cards. on WXP am i getting sound. i got the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and a sound card in my motherboard. when i have choosen the standard drivers for hose cards, and choose a song theplayer is starting playing of the file but no sound, and yes my speakers are on :P on some other players i get some errors. movies are also working fine. on system>configuration>KDE>sound>sound(something) :P the top thing is marked. i have searched whole over. cant find it.

Hi airborne.

First of all a general note: just browse through the archives (use search function) and you will find many similar topics that might help. So for future problems, try to use the info, given in other posts. ;)

Nonetheless, I will give you some possible answers to your problem:

a ) you system is still on mute-sound. open "kmix" (this can be done e.g. via konsole, simply typing: kmix) and enable all sounds on your system.

b ) your sound architecture is wrong. open "kcontrol", go to "sounds", "sound-server", then in the right window select the "hardware" tab and change the sound architecture from e.g. OSS to ALSA (the most common one).

c ) if you don't hear anything, using xmms, open the options-dialogue of xmms and change sound-output from OSS to ALSA.

I hope this does the job. :)

Edited by arctic

when I type [ user]$ kmix I get the answer :

ERROR: KMix : impossible de trouver le mixeur.

Veuillez vérifier que la carte son est installée et que le

pilote de la carte est chargé.

We really need a good tutorial about how to check & fix our sounds problems

thanks for your answer

I couldn't find any recent tutorial on this matter

help please

Information and configuration of the he soundcard happens in the Mandrake Control Center. I don't know the French or English links so yust look at the attachment.

You can change the module (driver) there. Make sure you don't have any application using the driver (like kmix or another mixer, music player etc etc) open.

ALSA can be stopped or started as a service (also make sure no mixer is open). It can be done in a console or in MCC but console is easiest for me to explain :)

Log in as root ant type: /etc/init.d/alsa status (that will show if alsa is running or not). If it's not running do:/ etc/init.d/alsa start

Good luck.

i have chosen= (advanced linux sound archtechture)- is that ALSA?

Yepp! :D

when I type [ user]$ kmix I get the answer :

ERROR: KMix : impossible de trouver le mixeur.

Veuillez vérifier que la carte son est installée et que le

pilote de la carte est chargé.

do you have KDE installed on your box? if not, then you can use alternative sound-apps (e.g. gnome-audiocontrols, which can be found via gnome-menu or the panel (just search for the loudspeaker icon and right click on it, selecting "preferences")). If you have KDE installed, but not kmix, you can install it from your cds via mcc or via konsole, typing "urpmi -a kmix". :thumbs:

Edited by arctic