Free Libranet Review: sort of

OK, I went for the Libranet download. "Try as long as you like, buy it if you like it."

Since I multi-boot, I remebered to make changes in my /mnt and fstab prior to installing. In fact, I went ahead and formatted the partitions so that they were clean and ready. I also actually read the install guide, just to see what I would be looking at. OK, so I skimmed it. It's more fun to just jump in anyway.

Installing Libranet was something like installing Mandrake 7.0, Except that it actually worked! It does a command line type of install with simple graphics. But it is automated, and the automation worked well for most of it. I had to id my video card; it tried to use vesa on my nvidia fx5200, which would have been a disaster. Once I told it to use the nv driver, it offered to use the nvidia driver! Cool! Setup worked great. I forgat that this is actually a commercial release and uses proprietary drivers. X configuration went great, as did my mouse and sound setup.

Libranet first installs a base system with its own kernel, like some other distros.(SuSE) It insisted that it be used to multi boot my machine, but i told it "no". At the reboot, I went back into Mandy, copied the kernel stuff into /boot, and edited my lilo.conf. It crashed on reboot!. So, I went back into Mandy and removed the append, and changed the video to normal. That did the trick. Back in Libranet, I was asked to setup root and user passwords, and continued the install from the cd's. I installed all desktop stuff, no servers. Libranet is using kernel 2.4.21, so I had to emulate scsi in order to burn cd's. The "Libranet" desktop uses an odd combo of Icewm, with gnome and debian tools. It looks good. I went into kde 3.1.3. I'll try to update to 3.2 in order to "test" its ability to update later.

All in all, this is an easy distro. I did have to know some linux type stuff, but if I remove my multi-boot history, any beginner could install this with normal heart palpitations. it's a cool distro.

More later.

I forgot to note that it only installed into one partition, with no immediate options for installing into multiple partitions. Not cool.

Haven't used any of those. Mandrake is easiest because of the gui. MEPIS is very easy because you actually boot into it as a portable distro and then install. What I like about Libranet is that it seems faster than Mandrake, even in kde! I just installed true type fonts off the internet using the tools. Works great. You should try it, though. I could see a beginner installing this.

Haven't used any of those. Mandrake is easiest because of the gui. MEPIS is very easy because you actually boot into it as a portable distro and then install. What I like about Libranet is that it seems faster than Mandrake, even in kde! I just installed true type fonts off the internet using the tools. Works great. You should try it, though. I could see a beginner installing this.

Is that compared to a Mandrake 2.6 kernel.... (im guessing so cos of the comments on cdburning and ide-scsi)?

what is the installed /etc/apt/sources.list ?

Im wondering what happens if you do update the kernel, what happens with nvidia support?

I'll check it out!

Here it is.

# See sources.list(5) for more information

#Libranet
deb http://libranetlinux.com updates/2.8/
deb http://libranetlinux.com security/2.8/

#Debian
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
#deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free

#Debian Non-US
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free

#Debian security updates
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security sarge/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free

I have never purchased Libranet, but the sight calls it an "evaluation" edition that has no expiration date. Everything works, including apt and other debian tools, so I am thinking they might be trying a Mandrake approach to increase users and thus appeal to potential buyers.