noob getting awfully scared with mandrake/linux!

Guest mickeymaluko

Guest mickeymaluko

:furious3: lol.. I feel better already to speak.. ok.. her we go.. first nice forum actually great and I'm glad I got u guys to help me out( I hope u can) cuz this noob is getting scared of using linux, here's the story..

Today I woke up and finnaly felt the courage to try and migrate from Xp to mdk 10 :D /yes this is the good part), after a few problem installing due to my lack of experience partitioning I finally made, but now.... no internet and the noob gets back to Xp to get u guys to help me hehehe

well the deal is my speedtouch PPPoe modem, the silver one is proving to be a pain to install.. and I've tried a titorial from a french site with no luck and have read a couple post here about that just got me even more scared but also hoping there would be a way to make it work....

I sinceerly hope u guys can help cuz with linux I feel like a kid and a new toy ehehehe ;)

thx in advance! :afro:

There is nothing to be afraid of and virtually nothing you could do permanent damage to. Why don't you try to explain your issues more clearly and specifically, and give us a run down of your hardware and I'm sure there are lots of people willing to help. I've only been around a few days and this is one of the most friendly and useful boards I have ever experienced.

Guest mickeymaluko

well I just got here and I can actually see that this is a quite a friendly board, seen it on other posts and now yours..

well mate my problem is my thomson speedtouch 330 ADSL modem ( the silver one) that refuses to be installed, I've tried doin as discribed here: http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/speedtouch/

but that link turned out to be freaky and confusing for a newb like me.. then I found u guys and did read a couple of posts about this subject but could draw no conclusions so decided to place a new topic to get some help :)

And thx for such a Quick reply :D

Edit 2 hrs later:

I followed the guide posted above it all worked till the part I had to create a ppp device..

#./MAKEDEV ppp got me the following error:

bash: ./MAKEDEV: no such file or directory

hope that helps helping me :)

Edited by mickeymaluko

Many people have problems with this modem and I've tried various methods, but I've found that this website should provide you with a working connection: -

http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/

It has built on the 'speedtouchconf' project and provided you follow the installation guide to the letter, including the link to the Thomson driver location, you should be successful.

Simple install and start/stop connection :D

HTH and good luck!

Dutch

Take a look at this thread:

Thread

Pay particular attention to the posts from 'arthur' and also post #37 from 'Havin It' and the part anout the VTI/VCI numbers needing to be reset.

I had the same trouble as you (by the sound of it) and this thread solved it for me eventually. I must have read those posts 8 or 9 times very closely and eventually got it going.

I have to start the connection manually be running arthur's shell script as root every time I start the system, but that is a minor inconvenience.

Best of luck.