Startup issues

sambo

Am having a 'problem' with starting up Mandrake 10.0 (OE).

When "checking for new hardware" it says "FAILED". What does this mean?

Also, when it says "Bringing up interface for eth0" it takes about a minute before it finishes doing so. What does this mean (I have a feeling it is modem related)? Is there any way to speed this up?

Thanks folks.

bringing up the eth0 also takes up some time on my box (eth0 + adsl-flatrate). this is quite normal. but it doesn't mean that your box doesn't work. it is simply that linux tries to bring up eth0 at startup, while most redmond-products start up eth0 after your dektop shows up. the time "lost" is the same.

concerning the "checking-failed" thing: go to mcc and have a look at your hardware, if there is any item that doesn't show up, although it should. i think that it yould indicate to e.g. some hotplugging device not being configured.

Edited by arctic

bringing up the eth0 also takes up some time on my box (eth0 + adsl-flatrate). this is quite normal. but it doesn't mean that your box doesn't work. it is simply that linux tries to bring up eth0 at startup, while most redmond-products start up eth0 after your dektop shows up. the time "lost" is the same.

concerning the "checking-failed" thing: go to mcc and have a look at your hardware, if there is any item that doesn't show up, although it should. i think that it yould indicate to e.g. some hotplugging device not being configured.

I got the FAILED hardware message on my first install of Mdk10. I don't have a floppy drive, have it disabled in BIOS, etc... no problems. Did a BIOS flash, which by defualt loads "optimzed defaults" which re-enables the floppy controller. So Linux would boot, find a new hardware entry in BIOS, not find the drive and FAIL. I had some other issues I created with excessive sessions of "what does this do" so I did a clean install and fixed it that way, but I would go with arctic, do some digging and you might find a failing hot plug device.

If you are using dhcp, then it means it can't find the dhcp server. If your ip is fixed, then Mandy can't find the fixed ip. In mandy 9.2, I always got a failed eth0 during boot, yet my network was fine after logging in to kde. I use dhcp. So I lazily never worried about it! :lol:

Better yet, what is your network configuration? (modem)