NVidia Driver wreaks havoc..any help?

lawsonrc

I've tried several times to install the NVidia driver on my desktop, a Powerspec 8920 sold by Micro Center.

I'm using MDK 10 OE PowerPak downloaded from MandrakeClub.

When I try to logout or shut down, I get an ugly screen with silver and black squiggly lines. The computer freezes and doesn't shut down, even if I try CTRL +ALT +DEL. I have to do a forceful shutdown with the power button.

Then when I reboot, I'm in runlevel three.

After painfully reinstalling last week since MDK10 became completely hosed and unbootable, this morning (July 9th) I tried the newer driver that came out June 30th with the same results. Luckily I learned how to uninstall it with

nvidia-installer --uninstall

which was a "godsend".

I also got back to runlevel 5 in MCC >Boot > Autologin > and Enabling "Launch the Graphical Login when the System Starts" with help from this forum in another thread.

My monitor is a ViewSonic A90f+.

The specs for my computer are:

Pentium 4 2.40 GHz, 512 MB Ram composed of 2 -256 DDR266,

two hard drives (all linux distros on the 2nd one, a Western Digital 120 gig)

Video Card is an NVidia FX 5200 Plus (A Conqueror Card).

The only choice for monitor in MCC is the ViewSonic A90f without the +. This should not make any difference since Nvidia 3d acceleration is working in Red Hat 8.0, Xandros 2.0, SUSE 9.0, and Libranet 2.8.1.

So...what is it about MDK10 that conflicts with the NVIDIA driver????

Please help, because MDK10 is my primary OS that I boot into and I really want 3D acceleration to work!

Richard L.

you don't need to a forceful shutdown when this happens btw.

This post from our FAQ section should helps http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=5144

the ::Terminal Death:: section should prove helpful if this ever happens again.

BTW i have the problems described sometimes with the 2.6 kernel. the 2.4 kernel from 9.2 doesn't exhibit these probs.

Another thing is to leave the monitor choice alone in the post install configuration. Don't try to set a specific make/model of monitor. Setting specific make/model of Monitor is grounds for instant grief. All you really need to do is set resolution and color depth (high or true color).

Thanks, illogic-al and Sarissi.

Illogic-al, if I recall before I uninstalled the nvidia driver, the keyboard and the mouse were also inoperable, so I don't think I could have done the keyboard operation as suggested.

Also, could you list the kinds of problems you're having with the 2.6 kernel, please?

Also, if I reinstall, is there somewhere a choice to choose the 2.4.x kernel instead of the 2.6.3 kernel?

This may save a lot of future grief with NVIDIA side effects.

Sarissi, how do I return to the monitor that MDK chose on installation? I don't recall what it was.

Thanks guys for your input.

Richard L.