MandrakeMove to rescue my installation?

Ed the N00B

Hi Guys.

I have Mandrake 10 installed and as well as using it for day to day stuff I've been playing around with it a bit trying to learn more about how Linux works.

Last night a made a bit of a mistake (to put it mildly) through being a bit tired and not concentrating properly.

I got mixed up between a /usr/local/lib directory created by a package I installed and the /usr/lib directory.

If that wasn't bad enough, in trying to fix the problem I'd created (X would not start) I then got them both mixed up with /lib !

Suffice to say, the whole system refused to start after that!

Totally my own fault. I know the risks I take messing around as root, but carry on regardless as I believe that making mistakes and learning how to fix them is a good way to learn. In this case however, I have no system to use to fix the problem!! :oops:

My question is this:

Can I use MandrakeMove to go in to the broken system and shift some files around in an attempt to get it going again?

Initially I was quite cheered when I thought of this as I thought it was bound to work but then I wondered if maybe I wouldn't have permissions to put the files back in their correct places.

Does anyone know if I can get into the system with MandrakeMove and them manipulate files from the original installation?

Or if not, does anyone have any ideas on how I can rescue the installation?

(Basically I think I accidentally moved the /lib and /usr/lib directories away from where they're supposed to be. I think they just need moving back.)

Thanks for any help! :jester: <-- Me, total clown! :P

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman]

Yes, Mandrake move or MEPIS either one can get you into a nice gui to work with the repair. Log in as root and you can make your changed. If moving files is all you did, then moving them back will do the trick. I know that MEPIS has a Super user Konqueror. I keep a live cd around for repairs.

Have you tried the Mandrake Installation rescue mode? Boot from Installation CD 1, press F1 at the splash screen, then type "rescue" at the boot: prompt.

You'll enter a menu with some options, one is loading a root environment to fix things around manually.

Good luck with your "repair" ;)