Can't run tuxracer

Qchem

I'm trying to run tuxracer using the new nvidia drivers (on a gentoo system but I thought I'd try here anyway), and I get the following problem:

*** tuxracer error: Couldn't initialize video: X11 driver not configured with OpenGL (Success)

glxinfo says direct rendering is enabled and I get decent performance from glxgears.

Any ideas?

Can you run anything else thats OpenGL? Like GLXgears or some other game?

I know at one point after installing the Nvidia drivers for some odd reason I no longer had permition to use the GLX library. It was able to run as root but not user.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. However, cannon smash and egoboo is working great (also a 3D game). Tuxracer was also working great when I had mdk 9.1 (now i've 10.0)

I did not try to look at the /proc/driver... thing. If I have some time, I'll try to investigate.

Tuxracer has gone commercial. To play it, you need to purchase it. They have programmed another version-- Open Racer. You can find it at happypenguin.org

there is still a free demo which comes with many linux distributions. you don't have to purchase it to play it, you just have to purchase it to get the full version. not that it's really relevant here.... :unsure:

there is still a free demo which comes with many linux distributions.  you don't have to purchase it to play it, you just have to purchase it to get the full version.  not that it's really relevant here....  :unsure:

In fact, tuxracer 0.x is GPL, so anyone can take the source code and make his own "tuxracer" with another name : this is what did the author of openracer.

Tuxracer 1.x is now commercial and the author has removed any contribution to his project and, of course, retains rights on the name "tuxracer". Tuxracer has now evolved and is much more a professional game : you can complain to the author if tuxracer does not work on your machine (if you've puchased it), you've a nice interface, much more levels, the game is smoother...

This whole process is called a "fork". Note that openracer has not released any new version since it is born...

jgh@thallium jgh $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        4x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Disabled

I've filled a bug in gentoo bugzilla but it doesn't seem like anyones interested.

run tuxracer from a virtual terminal 'tuxracer'

Does it say anything about not finding the data directory.

I installed tuxracer on my computer and it had that problem was looking in /usr/share/tuxracer instead of /usr/share/games/tuxracer (or something like that im at work now so cant check)

you can change the setting in /home/username/.tuxracer/options file.

Oh i should have reread your thread again before posting it is not what you want but anyway somebody using mandrake might find it usefull if they have this problem.

You status indicate that opengl is indeed working, so your error seems odd, i have no idea sorry.

Maybe you could install another opengl game like enemy territory or that 3d scorched earth game and see if they work.

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

Scorched3d is fun too.

Edited by johnnyv

If you installed tuxracer before you installed the nvidia drivers you could try uninstalling tuxracer and reinstalling. Since gentoo compiles everything from source, I'm thinking that the initial install of tuxracer w/o the nvidia drivers configured tuxracer to use GLCore instead of nvidia's glx. Also, if you got the "rivafb" error/warning when you installed the nvidia driver, you can add this to the append line of your lilo.conf:

video=rivafb:off

I had to do that to get full screen play for tuxracer otherwise I would get two thirds of the screen on the left with the right one third being black.