Suse Linux 9.1 Personal Cd Install

Well, I noticed Suse finally decided to allow a iso for download so I gave it a try. I downloaded it and I k3b checked the md5 sum before burning it. It also checked the data (verify data option) and it was all ok.

I then install it on another one of my computers, and it says the package xfree86 could not be installed during the install.

After the install everything is booting up fine before it asks me to logon (and it looks like I'm in a terminal kinda log-in) and I log in and I type Startx. And it says the packages could not be found.

Do you guys have any clue what went wrong? I just want to try other distributions so I can decide which one I like best.

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

Edited by SwiftDeath

Qchem... Thank you for your help. But unfortunatly I am command-line illliterate. What do I type to install it? Suse don't got urpmi and theirs no gui.

Darkelve.... lol nice catch. I make lots of typos. :lol: Yeah, that'd be pretty sad if I was using Suse 3.1. That'd be like 8 years ago.... That be like using Windows 3.1 or DOS. lol :unsure:

• 1 month later...

not that my post will be at all helpful, but...

I've had some serious problems installing SuSe 9.1, depending upon the installation medium.

I tried every incarnation of the suse 9.1 Live CDs, and I could not get them to work on any of 3 PCs I tried installing them on. (Each of the PCs ran 9.0 without problems). on each PC, the LiveCD would send the system into memory errors and Kernel Panics during startup.

So I tried the 9.1 net install. Same deal.

Interestingly, when I received my copy of the Linux Technical Resource Kit from Novell, Suse 9.1 Pro came on the 3rd DVD and it installs without a hitch and works fine.

I have no idea why I ran into the other problems. Perhaps some patching has been done...

• 2 weeks later...
I ended up reburning and that fixed it.

i wish that would have worked for me.

just as an aside, when i'm burning a critical disk, like a master CD for OS installation, i don't run the Cd burner at full speed. i always run it at something like 4x. IME the CDs end up having fewer errors on them than if you try to burn them at full speed.

The downloadable SUSE 9.1 Personal CD is the only installation of SUSE that has ever worked for me. I used to buy the "Pro" packs each time one would be released and after 3 purchases (none of them working) decided it was time to give up on SUSE.

Now they have the free download, it works, and I don't like it! :wall: :lol: