graphics card

Kieth

I've decided to buy a new graphics card, which also has a connection for a VCR, but I would like advice on which ones to consider, and which ones to avoid.

I am running a Pentium III 700mg, with 256 Ram.

Thanks,

Kieth

Avoid ATI. Get any card using an Nvidia processor. The reason is not that ATI is a bad card, it's just that they are not keeping up with good 3D drivers for linux, where Nvidia is doing great.

whta do you mean about connection to a VCR?

Do you want to capture video fromk your computer? (for example to maeka training video)?

Do you want to capture video from a video tape to your computer? for example to put home videos on DVDs?

The first case is easy, any card with "TV-out" will do (I think), buys a cheap GeForce2 based card wiht TV out and you should be set.

For TV input it's much more picky and make sure that you check linux compatibility before you buy the4 card. I can tell you that non of my all-in-wonder works under linux.

Thanks for the advice. About the VCR hookup, I just want to watch movies on my computer, using the VCR. Since I read the post here almost everyday, it seems that a lot of people have problems with the nvidia cards. Is this true? Infact, I thought it would have been one of the cards listed to avoid. Instead, it is recommended!

Kieth

You see nvidia problems here because we are all using them! Check out the problems with ATI--the card won't do 3-D at all!!!! :D

Im in the process of building a personal gaming computer. And for the video card I went down to my local LAN Party and I'm getting the G4 FX 5700 LE 256 MB and has some stuff on tv and all that stuff I will have to check later what it is, you won't find many GeForce 4 with FX 5700 only and handfull I sure could not find one on the internet. Nvidia is soo much better besides the fact that almost every game in under the " The way it's meant to be played " logo, which the developers of games hook up with Nvidia to make sure that every game runs the best on their cards, ATI I hear has the most problems. And I hardly see any game that is made for that card, You can't go wrong with Nvidia. You can also go to Nvidia's website and find out where the local LAN party is, and you can stop in or call for info on video cards, I would only do this if you are going to use it for gaming in general, if it's just to upgrade it then you'll be find with just an FX 5700

www.tigerdirect.com

You can find them here for a great price....

-Luis

Im in the process of building a personal gaming computer. And for the video card I went down to my local LAN Party and I'm getting the G4 FX 5700 LE 256 MB and has some stuff on tv and all that stuff I will have to check later what it is, you won't find many GeForce 4 with FX 5700 only and handfull I sure could not find one on the internet. Nvidia is soo much better besides the fact that almost every game in under the " The way it's meant to be played " logo, which the developers of games hook up with Nvidia to make sure that every game runs the best on their cards, ATI I hear has the most problems. And I hardly see any game that is made for that card, You can't go wrong with Nvidia. You can also go to Nvidia's website and find out where the local LAN party is, and you can stop in or call for info on video cards, I would only do this if you are going to use it for gaming in general, if it's just to upgrade it then you'll be find with just an FX 5700

www.tigerdirect.com

You can find them here for a great price....

-Luis

While I agree that NVIDIA drivers are easier to deal with in Linux, both NVIDIA and ATI make great quality cards and they bothe work great, with each camp claiming each is better. Under Windows games work great with either card, so the issue here is not the card but the availability and ease of use of Linux drives which gives NVIDIA an edge.

Does anyone do TV in with their NVIDIA? One of the requriements of the original poster is to watch movies and I don;t knwo which NVIDIA cards do that and how well they work for TV input in linux. Anyone has experience with that?

Kieth, does that 5300FX you're looking at have video input?

Also, unless you're going to play 3D accelerated games, I'd go with the cheapest card that has TV in. Anything else is overkill and will just add fan noise to the computer.

Kieth if the card is a FX 5200 and you want to play games avoid it like the plague.

I have had 2 Nvidia cards working in Linux , a geforce 2 mx400 and my present one - a geforce 3 ti200. From what i have heard and seen myself the FX 5200 is slower than my present (3 years old) card.

I would go for a 5600 or better still (though more expensive) a 5700 or higher.

My housemate has a FX5700 running in mandrake 10 OE and it is the very fast!