How to exclude hardware?

lefthook

How I can exclude my winmodem so that Linux does not see it . I found that My LM cannot handle two winmodems. I dont want remove them (dual boot). So , like in windows; not included to this hardw... I can see it reserving irq on /proc/pci, but its useless. I think that these modems are conflicting with each other & perhaps with videocard (cannot start X with two pci-modems). O r everything is mystery.

The real mystery is why you need 2 substandard modems...

I would dump those dogs and get a real modem, preferably external serial. Every piece of communications software or OS will work with an external serial modem (Windoze, Linux, you name it). Winmodems are cheap as they are because they lack a DSP (Digital Signal Processor). As a result, they dump their processing load onto the CPU, tying up processing bandwidth. They are also a pain with their often poorly written drivers.

Even if you only got one external serial and one internal hardware modem (with configurable IRQs) your situation would improve.

External serials are fairly cheap with a generic running about $45 at show prices.

Just out of curiosity, why 2 modems? I also recommend that you just get a real modem; it'll work dos, linux, unix, winsomelosesome, whatever os you prefer.

ADSL or cable or something faster thats what you need man.

If i had to go back to 56k i would cry seriously :)

Not that my connection is great or anything, just 128/128 dsl but as i play alot of online games my ping being 30-60 adsl compared to 200+ on 56k i would never want to go back ever. Still some people can't get it because of geography in New Zealand & other backwater countries :wink:

And why would you need 2 modems anyway? connection and fax/answerphone?

Well, if they're winmodems, it's unlikely that setserial will resolve your irq conflict.

I'm not going to ask "why 2 modems", because I use to run 2, because the one I used in win98 was much more consistent, faster, and could fax. I'm sure you have your reasons. If you could have, or afford, dsl or another good modem, I'm sure you wouldn't be here asking this question. Sorry, I don't have your answer. :(

Same reason, other modem is faster. I found already that it is impossible to force irqs for those pcis. I don't want DSL because i'm not too much time on one place & my economy is down just now, perhaps if I sell two winmodems & buy one external, but almost no one wants a modem here anymore. GPRS would be interesting , but slower, the line cheap the phone expensive & donnou if it is easy to config for Linux.