connection speed

spider200

i have an ISP which allows me to use high-speed access dial-up, but the software for the access itself isn't compatible with linux, so i used KPPP and plugged in the required fields, but my question is I need to use their high speed software correct ? and if so how do i install that so the connection is that fast ?????

basically i know that i needed to plug in shit for KPPP to access the modem and the ISP, fine. But it seems i need to also install the high speed software, but where, how and with what if any program ????

thank you

<more-than-you-probably-wanted-to-know>

The "high speed software" you use doesn't actually increase your internet speed. All it does is compress webpage files before they are sent to you. While this increases your internet speed, it also means that things such as images will have a lower qaulity due to them being compressed to speed up your internet. Really, it's just faking you into thinking your internet is faster. You're paying extra for them to give you a lower qaulity internet experience at a faster pace.

</more-than-you-probably-wanted-to-know>

I don't know of any such software for Linux, but searching google may turn up something, though I highly doubt it.

There is a threading technology that will open multiple incidences of the same data, increasing the speed because of utilizing more than one server. Something like using two modems to increase speed. It is the same as tyme said, an artificial jump. The bottleneck was in the line and then in the computer. There is no substitute for broadband! :juggle:

unfortunately their is no substitute

however 9600 is the fastest modem available...

everything faster is basically compression ...

up to 33600 this compression is symetrical and hardware on the modem (unless its a winmodem) but after that the 56k stuff split. Largely the compress more which means you spend longer decompressing...

you might be able to take advantage of this or it might actually being done, that is they might compress everything in a proxy cache so if you had to set up a proxy this is probably the case in which case their 'special' software is probably just to change the monitoring of the interface to after decompression else it would look like your still receiving the same bandwidth (which you really are)

hope that makes sense .... it might seem faster but its largely a trick...

(although it works best for the crappy sites that havent optimised their code and images)

just an example try this one vs many others and see how fast it loads....

thats becuase its very optimised...

A modem stands for modulation/demodulation

in effect it codes a digital signal to act as voice... or sound and then decodes at the other end.

This is horribly inefficient.... error prone etc.

DSL is a network connection direct from you_to_your_isp...

its fully digital so basically the only speed limitations are the cable and technology.

pppoe is inferior but still useful to 1MB/sec wheras pppoa is better.

atm and ethernet are network protocols...

bascially the internet backbone is ATM ... when you get an ATM adapter it plugs you direct to your ISP who then simply switch you into the internet.

DSL is x times faster than dial-up but thats not the end of the story...

its always on and doesnt disconnect often etc. even a 256k DSL bottom line will seem a lot faster becuase you dont need to wait for authentification etc. all the time.

with todays prices its getitng more affordable.

IF YOU HAVE ANY CHOICE .....

1) get an ethernet modem NOT USB !!!!

this is so much easier and more flexible ...

2) get pppoa over pppoe but this choice is basically down to your tele exchange not you.