Wizards/Upgrades and help

Gowator

For some time the network wizards have been wreaking havock...

(see bottom for easy network config)

Half the problems in this thread (networking) are caused by these wizards ...

At the moment a MUB team is looking at how to tame them, but in the meantime a heads up...

Wizards are all well and good when they work and in many cases they do work. The problem is when they dont work they can dump you in a bigger mess than before.

This ends up being catch-22 - if you dont have internet you cant access the board for help and if you have to dual boot its a complete pain copying out stuff by hand to post!

If your a noobie - think before pressing this button what are the consequences of not having internet.

If your a member helping someone then please don't recommend this unless you are willing to go all the way...if the wizard goes wrong. That means configuring the interfaces by hand etc.

Some observations :

Particularly dangerous is the internet connection sharing ...

If you have more than one NIC its less likely to work...

If you just installed but have no settings data and you loose nothing by an install then go ahead... just be prepared to reinstall. If it does work then please post your config and any services youre using like ftp/samba etc. that way the team working on this can work first on stuff that presently doesnt work and other users with the same requirements can just go ahead Also post if it doesnt, just be sure to say which ones did and which didn't.

If you rely on other network services as well as internet access then they could be messed up too. (SAMBA apache etc.)

In many cases it works (mainly single interface) but also USB modems and things... if you have a specific config it works FOR then post it.

meanwhile anyone who want to help instructions are in the WORKBENCH

Workbench

p.s. anyone who read the whole IPTABLES how-to knows 200 pages more than me! so don't be shy about helping!

OK so whats easiest:

By far the best choice for internet in terms of simplicity is a ethernet cable/DSL modem. In short this uses a network card to connect to a 'router or modem' which is connected to the internet via your ISP.

USB : well it can work but its NOT a network device - kinda like using a wrench as a hammer.

Internal cards : These can work and can be easy if the drivers work

basically if your not sure go for a ethernet one!

DSL modem/routers come in 2 main flavours...

1) Those basically acting as a extension of your NIC into PPPOE/PPPOA

These need the authentification passing to them and are activated either at boot or other times

2) Those with built in bridge and routing. These usually store your login/password to and are usually configured by a web page they host. Optionally they can do wireless etc. and have a hub/switch to support more than one PC

type 1) need you to select DSL : this is so it sets up the password etc.

type 2) you select internet, these usually work as DHCP servers and allocate you an IP.

Edited by Gowator

Am working on 'manual set up howtos' - have a look at

simple_net_setup

for a single PC 'client'

or for an internet connection sharing host:

internet connection sharing 'host'

Here's one to disable your firewall for testing purposes:

Disable your firewall

Please pass on your comments/amendments/errors.

Want to try & keep it simple - one howto for each scenario - not as easy as you think!!

Chris

Edited by streeter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to JH brewer

for Users of the popualr tulip NIC's (also called dec tulip)

for the Tulip it lists Module: de2104x

rather than tulip. So I edited my /etc/modprobe.conf file and where it said

alias eth1 tulip I changed it to alias eth1 de2104x

and then did modprobe de2104x

after which ifup eth1 worked!

JH Brewer had two NIC's with eth0 being a 3com and the eth1 tulip not recognised after upgrading from 9.2 to 10.....

If you just have one NIC and its eth0 then obviously

alias eth0 de2104x

• 1 month later...
This ends up being catch-22 - if you dont have internet you cant access the board for help and if you have to dual boot its a complete pain copying out stuff by hand to post!
Ineed it is, I'm currently doing this, but I'm also saving longer text files to my /mnt/windows or /mnt/floppy, I just figured I should mention this as a tip for anyone.

I was told to ask about my network probelm here... my thread describing my problem can be found here.

I'm really new to all of this, and have gone though all sorts of downloads, FAQs and help files... Any help would be awesome.