SUSE9.1 YAST2 Not Functioning

Yesterday I installed SUSE9.1 Pro onto my Toshiba 5005-S507. The install took about 2 hours since I threw in almost everything...including the "kitchen sink" (this is an American expression meaning excessively more than really needed).

Unfortunately, when I click on the Yast2 icon from the KDE Menu or from the Panel, the window for signing in as root appears. After I have given my password, Yast2 never does launch. :wall:

When I try to use YOU, I want to click on "Start online update....". Here I want to use the "Installable and Install Patches" and "Download NVIDIA Graphics Driver" to follow the instructions from the NVIDIA website.

Since YOU uses Yast2 for this, it is "unable to check for updates", so YOU is also totally unusable. :help:

Anyone have a solution?

I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall, taking up two more hours!

All help is greatly appreciated. :D

Sincerely,

Richard L.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dreamingwolves

I also have been having the same problem since installing SuSE 9.1 this afternoon. I tried to run yast to fix the problem with my mouse wheel not being detected, and it after giving root password, the page is just blank. Same for anything else I tried. Also, doesn't even pull up a menu when I choose adjust date and time. Tried logging in as root, got the same problem. I also noticed the post to the above question about logging into a terminal as root, and trying yast, but got this error message: Warning: the qt frontend is installed but does not work

warning: the ncurses frontend is intalled but does not work

You need to install yast2-ncurses to use the text mode interface.

If you've came across a solution to this, please let me know.

I also have been having the same problem since installing SuSE 9.1 this afternoon. I tried to run yast to fix the problem with my mouse wheel not being detected, and it after giving root password, the page is just blank.

funny. i get an error message on bootup that my monitor is not reporting its resolution, and i am presented with a dialog box that asks if i want to configure it manually. if i click YES, i also get the BLANK SCREEN OF DEATH. i also get the same results when trying to use YaST to fix the display problem.

fwiw, i have completed the online daily updates and the problem has not gotten any better. i have also got some wierd problems with a goofy character map, no sound, failure to recognize multiple displays...

all of this is starting to make Windows look good...