Flash: French government.......

Guest anon

Raffarin (prime minister) already said this a couple of weeks ago on the radio. In "Restriction Times", I guess the government begins to realize they could save money... Concerning other major free-software issues (independence, long term strategy, standards), theres's still a long way to go. But yes, it's good news. I spend my time trying to convince local administrations to switch to free software, and it's really a pain. Now, with an example coming from above, maybe I'll have a bit more chance.

On the other hand, Microsoft is currently trying to sign a major deal with the french education minister to equip thousands of laptops (to be distributed to students). No need to mention the "one step forwards, 2 backwards" government position on copyright...

Any adoption of Linux is good to help it reach enough critical mass so that suppliers, developers, governments... have to take Linux serious as a consumer-grade platform.

M$ lock-in might get in the way for a while. But with enough and important enough conversions, people will try to find fixes for this problem or ways around rather than going back to Windoze. And for M$ -who is now at its peak- , it's probably all a downward spiral from there.

It's sad I have to rant about M$ again, but this is the reality: M$ has to be confronted by us to gain back our rights (IE-only websites, ...) and to avoid loosing more rights (TCPA, ...)

Edited by Darkelve

Ahhhh. At last something that the French state do well. Very good news, that was a long time I didn't hear something clever from it :D ... but, but wait a minute ! it not done already, it's a project isn't it ? :unsure:

Ah ok. I understand. They are going to spend 5 to 10 years to do it, spend millions od Euro, the civil servant are going to go on strike to ask for special training, some rest to compensate for the extra work, and ask for some extra points on the mobile wage scale indexed on the status and seniority.

Forget this news for now, that's a wast of time. Let's speak about it again when it will be done..if ever.

Ahhhh. At last something that the French state do well. Very good news, that was a long time I didn't hear something clever from it :D ... but, but wait a minute ! it not done already, it's a project isn't it ? :unsure:

Ah ok. I understand. They are going to spend 5 to 10 years to do it, spend millions od Euro, the civil servant are going to go on strike to ask for special training, some rest to compensate for the extra work, and ask for some extra points on the mobile wage scale indexed on the status and seniority.

Forget this news for now, that's a wast of time. Let's speak about it again when it will be done..if ever.

thats not bad news to me....

Sounds like a job opportunity on more than the SMEC.... and if not I'll strike :D

let me reread that ...

spend 5-10 years doing it ... = job security

spend millions of euro = the more they give to me the better

special training and compensation ... wheeeehhhh

:twisted:

now that sounds like anything but a waste of time....

where do I apply !!!

thats not bad news to me....

Sounds like a job opportunity on more than the SMEC.... and if not I'll strike :D

let me reread that ...

spend 5-10 years doing it ... = job security

spend millions of euro = the more they give to me the better

special training and compensation ... wheeeehhhh

:twisted:

now that sounds like anything but a waste of time....

where do I apply !!!

Since when you work for the state ? :unsure:

Carefull, that seems comfortable for now but that's dangerous: it's virtually bankrupt and when there will not have money any more you're going to be fired, and you're going to die of starvation: who is going to hire a former civil servant ? :screwy::devil:

who is going to hire a former civil servant

other former civil servants ???

Certainly not: they know better than us how it is .... :devil:

Well I'm half joking but I should stop before I go too far :unsure:

I know there is a lot of nice person on the administrations (I know some)

In fact overall they must be quite good as the system still more or less run despite it is very badly designed. But it is so discouraging, there is so much inertia that a lot got a negative mentality. That's not there fault but they forgot that they are here to serve, not to decide: it's the people (the president, the parliament) who are supposed to decide.

Back to the topic: ... that's the reason why I'm quite skeptical: going open source is a change. In the French administrations they use to resist any change.

[me slowly going to a political discussion without problem so far :P ]

Your posts are now being monitored...  :evilmod:

:oops: ................. worthy.gif:evilmod:

Thinking of it (the topic, not the monitoring thing :angry: ): finally even if the state don't do anything, that's good because it gives credibility to open source and that's a lot.